Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Time Flies...

I reflect once again....

It has been a crazy week for me, really...

Here are some highlights since I last wrote:

Student-Teacher conferences! Let me tell you, I was actually a bit nervous- mainly because I really had no idea what to talk about in the chance that any parents actually came to talk about their students in weight lifting! Ha, I ended up speaking with the parents of 7 students (out of 20)...so not bad, really.... the first person to come in was a mom who was concerned her son wasn't very motivated, and she asked me to basically make him work harder, which I found strangely exciting. :) The other parents just wanted to touch base- and a few came in b/c I told their students I wanted them to....so they came in and sort of stood there, waiting for me to say something, and all I say is: "Well, your student lifts weights!" :) And they left. Ha, it was pretty funny....but the best part was getting to visit with the students who hung out in my room b/c of an athletic mtg. after conferences. One student even fixed my DVD player for me, how great to be the TV go-to woman now!

Junior Retreat! The junior retreat all in all was a big success, particularly according to Peter, who has been on several junior retreats and actually has something to compare it with....so I was pleased with that. The senior retreat was perhaps a bit more celebrated by the students, but I think the juniors warmed up to the experience once they were there...at first I thought it was going in a bad direction when my entire small group decided to share that their junior years all sucked! I was like, hmm...OKAY! But really I am learning that retreats are a great way for students to reflect on their experience, and particularly find what is positive about their year. I also had the good fortune to speak with three students on a really deep level during the retreat, and I feel more connected with the class as a whole. I also hiked a mountain and had a 'mountain top' experience! :) Ha, okay, it was only incredible because I love nature- and you can see a whole lot of it from that high up! The bus ride home was not so good (I drove).... but basically I'll leave the feel of the retreat positive in your minds and not speak about the dreadfull whining and complaints I nearly lost my temper over..... ;)


Weekend Fun! I enjoyed a nice Friday evening with my fellow volunteers, as we went to a coffee shop in Hot Springs- It is always nice to get away for awhile, even if it's an hour drive each way....I'm really getting used to that, and as I think of it in relation to my location growing up, it would be similar to traveling to Sioux Falls to do something, only without Brookings (or even all other smaller towns) around. Yep, I do a considerable amount of traveling here.....although I also enjoy just being here on the campus, spending some quality down time with the volunteers.... we can be quite crazy together, I must say- but we are bonding well, I think--- just in time for the impending cold winter months of staying inside, drinking tea, and playing board games (at least this is what I am hoping for). :)


The rest of the weekend was pretty relaxed- I attended the Episcopal church and actually read the 2nd reading (from 2 Thessalonians) for the congregation. I drove over with Peter Hill who is a fellow teacher in the high school, and it was great to feel a part of the congregation, going with someone I know AND knowing some of the people there now. We also enjoyed a large breakfast following the service, which is a pretty great tradition....giving me space to hear from long-time members of the Pine Ridge community on their experiences throughout the decades....what a story-rich community this place is! I cannot wait to hear more!


Following my day off yesterday to observe Veteran's Day.... I felt refreshed and prepared to be here at school once again. I came into my office today to the smell of ripe bananas! Yes, that is right- not one but TWO boxes of brown bananas awaited my smiling face... and without erasing the smile, I simply separated them and served them on my cart. Of course I expected the hundreds of wrinkled noses and judgmental comments which arose concerning the state of the bananas.... yet over 1/2 of them were eaten, some were dispersed for making banana bread, and the rest have yet to meet their fate. We shall see how much banana bread Katie and I can make! :)


I do have some exciting news...that is, I HAVE PICTURES..... my dear mother sent me the pictures she took while they visited, and I must say- I look pretty darn good in the drivers seat of a school bus! :) I hope you feel the same. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!


My Dad & I in front of a scenic view on Red Shirt Table Road

My Parents & I in front of the Cottage
A mini-me in between the church and school
Welcome to Red Cloud, everyone who enjoys a scary smile!
This is it...I mean the school bus, not me being Vanna White
The friendly face of a neighborhood bus driver- or, ME!
Working with Jose at the Halloween Carnival
My office!!! This is currently where I'm at! Weird.

Peace to you all as you orient yourself into this season of Thanksgiving! I give thanks today for the supportive and encouraging people you all are... thanks for keeping up with the blog... and may God grant you peace, in a miraculous way this week.

Love, Emily

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow, life does sound busy, but it sounds FULL - and that's great! My only other comment, other than "hi!", is that I can't believe how LONG your hair is! :o) Lookin' good! Have a beautiful week!