Tuesday, December 4, 2007

4 months in...

And time continues to tick away....

Oh wait, that's the new clock I recently hung in my office, letting me know that I am clearly on a schedule- a rather relaxed, come in and chat awhile, definitely not hectic, schedule today. :)

And so I write, another blog entry, to appease myself, my friends reading periodically, and my family who takes an interest in my life events....

This past week has been one of most definite learning- I have learned that rules are a good and constructive component to a class, that cleaning the cottage makes my heart at peace, and that laundry is a bittersweet experience. Okay, the laundry wasn't that profound, but my other learning really has been. For instance, yesterday was the first day I seriously imposed certain policies in the weight room (although I must add it was not complete anarchy in prior weeks). The guys who were not in the room when the appropriate time came were marked unexcused tardy... I only allowed one person to the restroom at a time, meaning the line-up was long and impatient, thus hopefully provoking a more immediate return to class (for each student relieving himself).... they all lifted more diligently than most days, considering I threatened to write up those not lifting...and the best part of this excellent class period was the cleaning up afterward. One policy I also enforced is this: they must help with cleaning jobs once they are done with their lifting routines, so they were vacuuming, picking up weights, etc.... a truly beautiful sight. I haven't mentioned that I also spent last Thurs. and Fri. vacuuming the carpet, hoping to display my respect for the weight room and my hope for their additional respect.

So, now that I have a handle on the concept of enforcing rules- and I think the guys realize I'm serious, I have to work on being consistent the rest of the semester. In giving myself a little grace, I've realized that this is my very first time truly needing to create, implement, and enforce rules in a class setting, so I guess my learning is definitely more of the experiential kind, you know- three months into the time, I realize the necessity of certain policies. :) I'd assert that it's not a bad time frame, especially now since I can truthfully say I understand a bit more of the mentality of Red Cloud HS, including students, faculty, and administration. In any case, the learning of last week was not always pleasant, but as I'm learning time and again... worthwhile experiences are not always pleasant.

What else is happening- I baked and cleaned all weekend- which means that really I am becoming more domesticated than I would have previously admitted. However, when circumstances necessitate cleaning- and when desire necessitates baking.... those things come quite naturally to me... and it makes me excited to return home for the holidays!

Speaking of home, I've realized that it has been just over 4 months since I've been here, which means this is also the most time I've ever spent away from home in one stretch... even my study abroad experience lasted only 4 months... but I must say this is a bit different, since I have seen my family in Sioux Falls and that wasn't a possibility from England. (Side Note: Almost 2 years ago now would have been the approaching time of my departure to England... which seems so strange to comprehend!)

Last night I was editing my housemate Katie's resume for her, and I realized that in many ways I feel as if college happened so long ago... all the tutoring, late nights spent writing papers, random meetings to attend, dinner dates to plan and enjoy, and all the walking around campus, attending classes and chapel.... Gosh.... while I do miss certain aspects of my time at college, I am realizing that I have been well prepared to encounter this new environment of Pine Ridge- and have been embracing my time here as a result of the many experiences I have been given in the past.... so I guess I might say that my past has given me the capability of fully appreciating my present. And all thanks be to God for this time now in Pine Ridge.

Thus shall end my reflections today. I look forward to only two more weeks of class before I take off for the Lakota Nation Invitational...and then HOME for Xmas! If you're reading this and plan to be in the Brookings/Arlington area over break, I would most definitely like to meet up with you!

Sending my smiles from this humble office in this fantastic school on this complicated Reservation.

LOVE, Em

4 comments:

Katie said...

Emily,
I don't really know how to word it, but I enjoyed reading about your newfound respect or at least understanding of boundaries and structure in education. I've had some discussions along those lines recently and I really think boundaries are necessary - even if a child rebels against boundaries, that is better than not having them there at all. I could be wrong - it's been known to happen - but I don't think I am.

MUD said...

Dear Emily, I am retired guy and the husband to a teacher that retired just this year. For all those years she taught, I worked in the full time service for the National Guard. Last year I substituted for the first time. After 6 months of that, I came away with a much better understanding of how much work teaching is. I tried to use some of my military training but found that as an "in for a day" guy it was just better to try to control the chaos and not do anything that got the students into a lot of trouble. I did take one or two out in the hall and talk to them but mostly taught those that wanted to learn and left the others alone. I am enjoying your blogs. Can you work in some pictures of the kids? I think it would give your readers a better idea of what you are up against.
Please feel free to visit my site and see that I am not just another dirty old man stalking you. MUD

Chris Rensink said...

Emily I know you are doing a wonderful job teaching -- and you didn't even major in it. Those of us teaching now who majored in teaching - still have the same problems you do, the same wonderings of the bounds of classroom management and rules...its the beauty of a new job and life after college. The learning never stops, buts continues to grow...

Danny E said...

Wow Emily...you've become quite the enforcer ha..? Now I feel like I'm really scared of you...haha! It's fun reading your blog...keep em coming! God Bless!