Sunday, September 16, 2007

Homecoming 101

Greetings!!!

The talent show is filled, the pep rally planned, the wood (semi) collected, the fireworks in place, the decorations gathered, the faculty prefects (yet to be) found, and the dress-up days decided.

Yep, it's time for Homecoming to begin!

My past week has been a blur, literally. It's hard to say when I did what- but somehow, amidst several meetings with student council, administration, and faculty- we have successfully planned out our week of Homecoming- and with an adequate amount of excitement as well! I have come to find that even the stress of planning for Homecoming is not unbearable, and the more I let go of previous preconceptions and allow the students to imagine ideas- and new ways of seeing things 'done' here at Red Cloud- the more useful and invigorated I feel!

I have been affirmed in my work and organization several times throughout the week, and my student council members (along with several other students from school) have really opened up to me with their ideas this week...perhaps because they feel I actually care (which I do, in case you were wondering) :) So, this year's homecoming may look a little different than past years- and I'm hoping for the best through it all.

A few things I've learned this week:

Pilamiya is Lakota for Thank You. My weights student Lester (also the star of the football and basketball team) kindly asked me if I knew any Lakota and wanted to learn? I said I hadn't learned- but wanted to...so he taught me "thank you" as my first word. What a kind soul.

Lakota has been originally spelled "Lakhota" -with a stress put on the 'ho' in pronunciation... and although I'm not good at remembering this, it does give me a sense of 'being here'... and trying to understand the culture.

Toksha (pronounced Doksha) means maybe/later... and it is a phrase we learned in school to respond when students ask (in Lakota) to get their pass-book signed. :) Also, Hiya means No and Ohan means Yes. If you ask how to spell words- you might find a mixed bag of spellings, because until recently, the Lakota language was simply a spoken language... and so spellings are at times relative to the writer's perspective.

I hope to learn more- and actually, I am considering taking a Lakota Language class next semester at the Oglala Community College here in town. I am fascinated with the complexity of the language and the beauty in the phonetics. It is difficult for me to pick up w/out seeing it spelled out, I'm finding- so I assume the students get some entertainment as I learn.

I finally worshipped at the Episcopal church this morning- @ 9:30am, in case anyone finds themselves looking for a place to worship in Pine Ridge anytime soon! :) (do not be deceived by the signs- one of which reads "8:30am" and the other "9-12".... two years ago they changed to 9:30am w/out changing their signs) :):) Gotta love it here, huh? The service was great, I really enjoyed the Priest and the interaction between him and the other Lakota lay priests. Also, a five year old girl named Whisper was baptized during the service- and the family provided a celebratory meal following the service. I was able to meet some great members of the church (most of whom are Lakota- and they sing their hymns in Lakota which I enjoy very much; since I know the English words already- the lakota means more and I will hopefully be able to pick up some more language in this manner)...

I met Dorothy, a life-time member of the church, Pauline, a member for two years, and a man named Guy who goes by Boob and married into the Episcopal church several years ago. What a fun bunch! Although they are a few generations older, I find their discussions entertaining and informative- particularly in regards to the history of Pine Ridge. I was also asked (second to my name, by the way) if I would be interested in teaching Sunday School and embroidering pillowcases for a Bazaar they will have later... :):) (who knows, perhaps I shall teach SS....unfortunately no embroidering experience in these fingers!)

Anyway, this weekend has been great- relaxing and fun! I met some former volunteers who came back for a memorial of two Priests who died one year ago, and the former volunteers were great to hang out with and hear stories from! I am looking forward to experiences throughout the coming year which will lend to stories of my own!

So, Homecoming is soon upon us here at Red Cloud, and I will provide a link to a schedule we have posted online (along w/ a short story) for Homecoming. You will find the story on the home page of our website, next to a blue balloon picture~!

http://www.redcloudschool.org "Be True to Blue"

If you're interested, Monday is pajamas day- don't worry about your co-workers strange looks, simply explain you are supporting the efforts of Red Cloud Student Council on behalf of your friend Emily. :):) Ha, I know- I have officially re-entered High School and love it! :):)

Well, I suppose that's about it...the more I type, the more random things I think of, and I have to draw the line somewhere. __________ This is it. :)

Peace to you all, as you also seek to find God in the midst of your endeavors,
Emily

2 comments:

Katie said...

The guy named Guy, does he go by Boob as you say, or perhaps Bob? Boob would be funnier - but I'm really looking for accuracy here. I'm sending you a letter tomorrow in the mail.

Amy said...

Hello Em!

It's so good to read that your are enjoying Pine Ridge! And you are trying to learn the Lakota language??! The Lakota language sounds so beautiful... just the word "Lakota" by itself is lovely. God bless you Em and the work you are doing there.