Saturday, September 29, 2007

Week of Continuance


I am nearing the two month mark of my time here, which would equate to roughly 1/5 of my "contracted time"....and it seems almost surreal, mostly because so much has happened within the past two months- while I simultaneously feel as if I just arrived. Hmmm, an oddity of time which it seems I am forced to reconcile so often in life.

The after-school program began this past week, with activities on Mon. Tues. & Thurs. I expected a bit of a slow-down, and in comparison to last week it surely was, yet I have been continually busy (hence my title for today) trying to wrap up ends from Homecoming week, get the after-school program (and respective 21st Century grant record keeping) on its feet, and plan for the upcoming Halloween Carnival. The after school program thus far consists of a study hall and tutoring each day, in addition to one or two of the following clubs: drama, guitar, Lakota, Rubik's Cube (surprisingly a dozen+ students enjoy this), Knowledge bowl, Film, Service, and SACNAS (science). Everyone seems pretty excited, and I really haven't done much in regards to recruitment. Everyone sort of fell into place nicely, I must say.

This week has been full of other activities as well, including the usual bus driving (which is a time crunch w/ the after-school program thing as well.) My part during the afternoon is ensuring that all students sign-up and are receiving ONE snack (perhaps the most difficult of my duties) :) and to roam the halls and outside courts to make sure no students are "unsupervised"...(perhaps the most unpleasant of my duties). I also must keep detailed records of each student's participation, and the # of snacks to be reimbursed, etc. Overall not a hard job, but the first week presented challenges, as one might expect.

Okay, so about the other activities I neglected in the previous paragraph. On Wednesday we had our Back-to-School Pow Wow here in the Fieldhouse (varsity gym). Several students participated, in addition to many family and community members. This was my most exciting Pow Wow experience, b/c I knew several of the students, and I was able to ask (or they simply shared) about details such as their Regalia (ceremonial dress), the physical exhaustion of Pow Wow dancing, and more about their family members and childhood background. I have a few Student Council members who dance for Pow Wows, one weights student, and several students I know through Homecoming Activities- so I felt very much a part of the ceremony, cheering on my students.

Another meaningful ceremony during the Pow Wow was something called "Wiping of the Tears"- during which those who lost a loved one throughout the past year are welcomed to participate, and as they are encouraged to remember and mourn the loss of their loved ones...they hear a moving speech from an elder, and all are invited to offer them a handshake or hug to extend compassion towards those who are mourning. It is really quite a beautiful way of commemorating life and bringing people into the moment of remembering and healing.

During the Pow Wow the usual dancing competitions were held, and it was so great to see my students participating in something which is entirely different than school, yet somehow intricately connected to being a 'student' of their culture. Another great dynamic of Pow Wows such as this one is the intergenerational experience which comes w/ family participation, from the new little babies, the young children, youth, young adults, parents, and elderly....everyone comes together in a ceremonial, yet non-formal environment to celebrate their culture and their school.

The high school girls who applied were able to participate in a contest called Miss Mahpiya Luta (which is Lakota for Red Cloud)...and they had several dance competitions and each gave a short speech before they crowned Ida Clarke the new Miss Mahpiya Luta. Coincidentally, Ida also received the title of Homecoming Queen, so she has been honored quite well lately. She is also in my weight lifting class, and it had been great getting to know her in her various endeavors.

Speaking again of Homecoming, I just read the article posted on our school website, and it is quite well written- in addition to mentioning several elements of Homecoming week which I neglected to share: so, check it out if you wish...

http://www.redcloudschool.org/breakingnews/2007/homecoming2007.htm

Yesterday I had quite an adventure, by agreeing to drive bus for the football team to Hill City. Shall we say adventure is an overly positive term for this experience? Ha, okay, it wasn't all bad- but I did intially drive 10 miles with the bus in 3rd gear rather than drive- oops! So, the trip got started on a 50mph busload of success. The drive was long (appx. 2hours) and the scenery was beautiful, as we made our way through Hot Springs, into Custer State Park, past Crazy Horse & Custer (and Sylvan Lake drive- where I remember sharing of my sister's recent engagement), and into Hill City. I had quite a few tight maneuvering adventures around the school and then the football field (situated quite a ways further on)...and back to the Hill City school (where the guys changed and ate pizza) after the 54-8 win against Hill City.
Running a little low on fuel, I was contemplating stopping along the way back, but thought I would make it so I went on...and thankfully much of the way back was coasting down hill (quite the contrast to the uphill climbs @ 30mph going)...so I did make it, despite the constant headache I maintained throughout the trip home (partly due to the 'scent' of dozens of football players & the noise they make after a rousing win). 9hours after departure, we made it back to Red Cloud, and I must admit- it was a truly beautiful feeling, coming back w/ enough fuel and no deer remains on the front of the bus! :):)

So, thus ends my weekly recap of events. It has been wonderful enjoying the new fruit stand in my room (and the madness of high schoolers grabbing a snack btw. classes!)...in addition to the fridge, which ignited a desire to rearrange my room. I am not completely finished, but I must say that I am pleased thus far w/ how things are looking in there. Feel free to stop by and enjoy the new layout whenever you're in the area! :):) Such the simple things that make me happy, really it's true.

As I contemplate the rest of my relaxing day- perhaps running, making banana bread with the remains of my fruit stand, and reading- I realize that I have yet to share homecoming pics w/ you....so enjoy the sights of Homecoming.... through the lens of Emily's camera. :):)



Roman & Andrew (in my weights class) looking oh so tough!


The Second Grade class b/f marching in the parade.


The Elementary Dance Team

Seniors holding their 'puppies' on leashes


The senior class after decorating their winning hallways

Sophomores enjoying their float!


Chyler entering the picture rather ghost-like



Seniors posing in front of their banner


Ida, Grey & Stevie decorating the senior hallway


CaSarah working on the senior banner


Bobbi w/ the Junior Class banner


The Freshman banner


Sophomores partying like rockstars!


Winners of "twins day"


My own twin, Katie (also my housemate), & I!



Finalists for 'crazy outfit day' (I forgot to photo myself...oops!)


Finalists for Faculty Look-Alike Day (not as compelling for you, I'm sure, not knowing the faculty they look like) :)


John and I w/ John's clothes on- for Faculty look-alike day!


Junior Class pyramid at the bonfire


Senior Class pyramid @ bonfire


Many sophomore girls at the bonfire


Junior class winning "best foundation" b/c of solid offensive line


Paddy (Scholastic Jesuit) & Jess during Twins day


Saige, Portia, Danielle, and Billy at the bonfire


Thumbs up for a successful bonfire!


Two of my weights girls (both in blue)


The fireworks were even more spectacular than this picture suggests



Ali (son of coach Matt Rama) & I enjoying the fireworks together


Kaitlyn, Kayden, Me, Daisa, & Calsee


Senior Class- posing as the friends they are


A little fun at the bonfire...


Two guys who make my weights class a bit lively!


Elliot & I enjoying the bonfire

I must say, looking at these pictures once again makes me incredibly happy to be here, knowing the students, feeling as if I can connect in a real life sort of way- hearing the stories of kids to stop in to chat... realizing that they respect me because I care...and knowing I have a whole lot more to learn.

May you all experience the peace and joy of fall- as you also see the leaves turning beautiful shades of golden colors & fall gently with the breeze.

In the love of our Creator God,
Emily

6 comments:

Katie said...

I read your blog and it's like you're in another country! I am so glad that you are embracing the adventure that this year has been and will be. You should take a picture of your office since I won't get to see it :( But finish re-arranging it first!

J Littlecrow said...

Foreign land? Huh? I ran across your blog by accident, and really enjoy the pics from school. You must have a great attitude if the kids are accepting you so well. Do the kids up there tease as hard as we do down here in OK? I live in north central Oklahoma on Otoe -Missouria tribe rez land. Your school & kids seem a lot like kids at Frontier School here at Red Rock. I'm wondering if your kids would like to communicate with our Indian kids here. We live in the middle of 6 rez's here (Otoe, Ponca, Osage, Kaw (Kanza), Tonkawa, Pawnee) but we also work w/kids in a JOM dance troupe that's forming in another small town near Tulsa, mostly Muscogee & Yuchi (Creek). Most of our kids around here don't get to travel much, so they don't meet a whole lot of kids away from here. Contact me at littlecrowtrading@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Janet- Thanks for your comments... and to answer your question... YES! I get teased all the time- and I feel so fortunate to have the sense of humor which works so well w/ their personalities. I shall contact you to discuss communication... thanks!

Amy said...

Emily!

What fun you are having! I'm so glad that everything is going well for you at Red Cloud! It was great looking at your pictures because I recognize some of your students from my summer job with Upward Bound/MSIP. Ida Clarke is a great girl! I didn't get to know her a lot this summer- but from the interactions we did have, she is so talented and really sweet. Amazing how our paths have crossed in this way, Em!

CS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CS said...

Did you get permission from those children's parents before you posted their pictures online? Now- not only do perverts have have a window to view my little sister through, they know where to find her Monday through Friday. We'll be keeping a close watch of your activities online from here on out.