Monday, October 8, 2007

Fall Winds

It's Fall!!!!

As the leaves begin falling from the trees in their array of golden colors, I am feeling quite content...sitting here in the cottage which (as of one hour ago) finally has heat. (hmm, funny how those thermostats actually mean something).

This past week has been a wonderful experience. Although Mon & Tues were rather hectic and I was feeling in much need of down time, I experienced great peace during the senior retreat (oddly enough, being a chaperone and all). We headed out early Wed morning to Storm Mountain Camp (affiliated w/ the camp I worked at this summer)...and, situated in the gorgeous Black Hills, this was an ideally serene setting to reacquaint myself with a positive spirit.

The senior class is great, and I especially appreciated getting to know many of them in a more personal light. We had a wonderful time with activities, challenge course, and games... in addition to the prayer service- which struck me as beautiful: each student and faculty member was encouraged to contribute their hopes and prayers for the coming year- and many of them oriented around concern for one another's fate in life in addition to the well-being of everyone's families... the Spirit was truly present, and I felt renewed and excited for the lives of each of these students.

I began my four day weekend on Friday- complete w/ working concessions at the home football game against Crow Creek. Our boys successfully tallied one more 50-0 victory last Friday, making them rise in the standings...(one more plus for my weight lifting class results??) :) :) Speaking of weight lifting, it's going pretty well, I will be having a conference w/ Nick about my class expectations, etc, next week... gotta lay down the law this week to have something to report... :):)

Oh yes, my Friday evening was spent at the Pow-wow (not sure why I occasionally choose to write in the passive voice)... the Rapid City Pow-Wow was quite big, held at the Civic Center, and was overall a good time. Another good time was the Saturday 'not-much-going-on' day.... during which I caught up on sleep, laundry, cleaning, eating (ha, okay, wasn't much catching up in need here)... and basically organizing life.

As you can imagine, my life (as described above) is incredibly exciting here on the Rez...everyday filled with the, er, eager anticipation for what will soon arise! :):) For example, we successfully unclogged our shower this weekend using the miracle cure called "Draino".... you might ask why we didn't unclog our shower sooner than months after we noticed the excessive water build up consuming our feet....well, I guess that's how we roll here at the Red Cloud cottage....

Yesterday and into today I headed back to Rapid City (hmm, running slightly low on gas, at the moment- contemplating how to fund my way to Orange City next weekend).... to visit Jared and Amy Oswald- and their adorable son Trey.... for the evening. It was time well spent, and I am excited it worked to see them!

My next big adventure is heading to Orange City, IA in four days for a wedding, in addition to visiting friends and mentors- AND seeing my family in SUFU for the first time since coming....quite an exciting matter, really. My next big event here at Red Cloud is the student council retreat we're planning for next week.... I shall be interested to know if you have any ideas concerning our time together (ha, I actually like posing that question for everything- that way my ideas are not solely 'mine'...and cannot be solely condemned. :):)

Okay, I think that's enough. I have a few pictures to share with you from around Red Cloud & the Senior Retreat. Don't be surprised if you are totally in awe of my fantastic photography skills. :) Oh, and thanks for keeping up w/ my blog- it makes me smile.

The Seniors experiencing a "trust walk"


The Spider Web Challenge Course


Will he make it? He's David Giago, of course he will! :)


Will I make it? My smile seems to say, "No problem!"



Scenes from Manderson Road


The Joy Bus Driving Brings...

More Trust Walk


Red Cloud Campus from across the highway

The Beauty of the West....




Okay, thus ends my photographic saga of time spent at Red Cloud. I realize today's post is not necessarily educational... but I feel as if one must be in the mood to write educationally, and well, it's my day off...

Until next time, may the sunshine brighten your week with the love of God,
Em

1 comment:

Mom said...

Great photos, Emily! Once again, your skills amaze me!

Mom