Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Here I am...

Ah, I say hello once again, from the extreme comfort of my after-hours office.

Whew, the past few days upon returning from Orange City, IA (which was a splendid trip, by the way) have been FULL. I am currently planning for our student council retreat for Thursday, a fan bus (which I'm driving) for Thursday's FB game against Todd County, and the Halloween festival which is coming next week! And I am continually hosting the variety of requests which are made to a student activity director- particularly one who agrees to accept a number of random tasks! :) I also spend a good deal of time correcting people regarding my actual role in various matters....

Example phone conversation: Bruce: "Yes, say, Emily, I have some Gates scholarship papers coming out of the printer here in the office....wondering what that's about." Emily: "Hmm, well Bruce, I have no idea about the Gates Scholarship papers coming out of the printer, but you may want to ask Gina, who is in charge of handling the Gates Scholarships." Example student interaction: Student, "Hey, can I come by and pick up the Upward Bound application from you Emily?" Emily, "Well, I have no idea about the Upward Bound application, but I wish I could help you." Student, "They said 'see Emily'." Emily: "Really?" Student, "No, JOSH." (at this point I will explain that on the Rez it is MORE than a fetish to say "JOSH" after everything- even when they are serious, but are unsure of the person's response. It's quite contagious as well- soon, I may insert an occasional "Josh." So, beware.

Ha, I actually look forward to those random encounters, because they remind me of how much I love this job- being involved in so many endeavors (either by choice or chance) and really feeling as if I am learning more about each department within the high school. Gosh, what did I do last week? Oh yes, I really enjoyed having a less hectic week in school (for the first time, I actually felt as if I had two minutes to spare- either to speak with and/or listen to students and faculty alike). The relational aspect of my job is my favorite. And those who know me probably are thinking I didn't even have to mention that...but I am, because I like relationships... :)

After leaving the football game at half-time on Friday (which my weights guys gave me heck for later), I headed toward Orange City, and realized it only takes about 6 hours from here. That's a random factoid which may never come in handy for anyone else...except for those lovely folks who are dying to come visit Red Cloud! :):) By the way, if anyone is interested in visiting- seriously- we have a guest quarters here and/or my cottage has guest rooms, so- no reason not to, huh? :) The tour's on me!

My time in Orange City was wonderful, seeing dear friends once again, catching up, and talking A LOT about my experience here- thanks to everyone who listened and at least seemed interested. :) I realized during my several discussions how much I love it here. I mean, I would seriously get giddy just speaking about the students, or my fellow volunteers, or the Rez in general. Obviously I have found Pine Ridge to be quite appealing- and I am beginning to think that it may have something to do with my innate sense of "relaxed timing"....or according to my family, "time in Emily's world."....ha, at least I have found myself using this excuse whenever I'm late...I simply say, "Well, it makes sense, considering I've been living on the Rez now for 2 1/2 months."

As if 2 1/2 months is a long time. I've only just begun! Gosh- in speaking with Matt Campbell today, I was reminded how quickly time does fly by here- with weeks full of school activities, and weekends full of weekend-filling activities, here we are in October. The middle, of October.

So much to look forward to. Another full slate of after-school activities tomorrow, the student council retreat and fan bus/game on Thursday, and Friday we have another huge Pow Wow here at school- for which I am prefecting. The weekend will bring adventures of its own, I'm sure. I feel inclined to mention that the most exciting part of any of my days in the simple fact that I am surrounded by so many wonderful people. Students kindly visit quite often (which my friend Mike suggests MAY have something to do w/ the fact that they don't like class, and my office is NOT class.)...so I'm working on that- trying to sort out which students should be in class. I guess it doesn't phase me as much as it should, yet I know other teachers need students in class. I just keep telling myself this, b/c as much as I enjoy their presence, they need to learn or something, you know, ...school.

A story for you, to follow up on the Jesse "You're my hero" story from awhile back. Today in my office he was trying to get a student to share the chair (while he should have been going back to class)- and he says, "You're my hero" to this student. And I say, "Jesse, it's time to go. I am already your hero anyway." He says, "No, that was just for that one day." :) Ha, I said...."alright, well, then you really have to go now." Guess what his response was... yep, he said, "JOSH." :):):) One example of the good times I have interacting with high schoolers.

My weight lifting class today was CRAZY. I could perhaps make that word even bigger to suggest the intense energy in the weight room. Some days I have to simply smile, remind myself that my brother definitely had similar energetic tendencies in high school, and pretend that they all remind me of my brother (whom I love and was able to see, along with my sister, brother-in-law, and parents last weekend). Anyway- each guy actually does remind me in some way of my brother- which I think has allowed me to have a healthy reaction to their 'antics.'

I am thinking this is most likely enough for today. Granted, I could potentially write forever, but I think that may in fact bore some of you, and I am interested in extending YOUR interest at least to next week's entry. :) Thanks for all your responses to my writing- in this manner, I feel closer to everyone who is far away.

Until the Great God of the Universe moves me to write again.

Peace, and Joy, and All those kind little gestures from friends and family that make living worthwhile,

Emily

No comments: