Monday, January 14, 2008

Brighter days ahead.

I have chosen to frame my current situation within a positive mindset.

See, I have been sick now for three weeks. I feel as if this is some unjust life circumstance, considering the fact that I lead an otherwise very healthy lifestyle. However, I realize that sickness is simply a test of patience, and although it has at times brought me to tears of frustration, I am overall quite positive about the situation (the situation being my sinusitis has transformed into bulging tonsils w/ white spots....hmmm).... so despite the 1/2 way closed off throat, I am feeling a bit better. :)

On to more important events in my life. I successfully managed an entire week of school upon coming back to Red Cloud. I recall writing last time about my hesitations, concerns about the level of reception from students, and my goodness, I should not have worried! The first morning I was back, students were waiting by my door to come in and speak with me about break- or whatever drama happened to be occuring in their lives. :) And of course I was immediately reminded of why I love this job so much! Despite being sick (and honestly, when you're sick, students are worried for you, it's great!)...the interaction with students was still great. One girl in particular I am extremely concerned about, which has been a little disheartening, yet it's also great to know that she continues to be honest with me.

Hmm, bus driving was a bit slow this week. Funny how I think about bus driving being a means toward really great stories- but none to speak of, really. Monday I had exactly 1 student to drive home (I know, feels a bit silly in a big 'ole bus w/ 1 student), yet it was fantastic, since I am close with her and we shared some much needed girl talk! :)

Oh yes, my new student teacher, Cory. He's really fun to have around, he asks good questions, observes while simultaneously planning his own class policies (which may be quite a bit different than mine, since he actually must make lesson plans, etc.) :) I like to have someone to share my weight room interactions with on a daily basis, and he is interested yet also fine with moments of no conversation, which is a blessing as well! Hmmm, gosh, I feel as if last week was a daze in many ways, since I was sick and not thinking 100% clearly. After school program, pretty great! I took the study hall on Thursday, and of course I love being there to hear the ranting of high schoolers, complaining about who knows what- instead of working on homework. It is a challenge I have, to balance chat time with true work time for those students who are failing (since....as you might imagine....the students who are failing often times do so b/c of their tendencies toward chatting!)

Oh, how could I forget!!! This weekend possesses a truly entertaining story from my Saturday excursion to Chadron. A few points to mention from Katie's experience: 1. Pharmacies need the Licence number of your doctor to process a prescription. 2. NO hair-cutting place in Chadron is open on the weekends. 3. Not all Super-Walmarts have hair-cutting facilities. Okay, on the entertaining, although less-informative part of my Saturday....

So a group of us 1st year teachers met up for dinner and a movie in Chadron, which was excellent time spent discussing the blessings and curses of various students :):):) Okay, no real curses were shared, just warnings.... anyway, we decide to go see "P.S. I love you"...which left me with a smile on my face, despite the mid-movie explosion which occurred directly behind me! So I'm sitting in my seat, enjoying the movie, when a funny part occurs, and some people laugh- while the guy behind me sounds as if he spits his drink out, since it's so funny. I think to myself, hmm, wasn't THAT funny....and turn around to see what stranger has an overly-sensitive sense of humor, when I realize that the guy wasn't actually spitting out his drink... rather, he was spewing out vomit!!!! Yikes! His look of surprise was confusing, as the vomit clearly smelled like alcohol, and I sit there a bit stunned, hoping beyond hope that when he stood up to leave and concurrently spewed a bit more- that it would NOT land on me! Despite the fact my shoes and bag felt wet (ended up being a psychological phenomenon, not reality)...I was just fine, moved seats, and proceeded to enjoy the rest of the movie. Hence, I ended with a smile on my face. Too bad that other puking guy wasn't smiling.

So, there you go. I don't think I've even been puked on during a roller coaster, let alone during a 'P.S. I love you' movie! Hey, it was a new experience, and being open minded, I shall take it for what it's worth.... a good story. :)

Anyway, I'm back here for another full week. It's the last week of the 1st semester, so my weight students are maxing out this week, getting graded on their improvement...an interesting thought, considering Xmas break caused most of their muscles to atrophy. Oops. Anyway, my first semester of real teaching nearly done. Whew, what a ride!

This is all for now. I cannot think of any other extremely interesting news. Our house received a new heater recently. Turns out a heater which quits every-other day needs to be replaced! Now my room smells like sulfer, or rotting mice, (similar odors). And the warmth from the heater now amplifies the smell. What a great thing! (Actually I'm being dramatic for the sake of writing, it's really not horrible....mostly....yeah).

Okay, calling it quits for lunch. I believe it's corndogs w/ tator tots! Who could ask for more...it's free! Thanks for tuning in to this weeks, "Pine Ridge reflections!!!"

Much love,
Emily

5 comments:

Katie said...

I saw PS I love you as well - but no guy puking behind me. I enjoyed it as well. I'm sorry to read about your nasty tonsils. You should have just had them removed when you were 6, like me :)

MUD said...

About 5 years ago I was hired to be an instructor for a new call center opening up here in Topeka. The only requirement was that I had to complete the training the first 6 weeks I worked there and be ready to teach the Monday after graduation on Friday. The last week of the training we were in an old building with almost no heating. I got sick and thought i was going to die. I drug myself in each day and have no clue what we did the last two days. I remember it was a program that had one green screen and one blue screen. I think only the repair people used it so it wasn't very important but I did have to learn it to teach it later on. When I got well, I started asking everyone about the repair program. No one had a clue what it did or how it worked. In fact the training program did not work and no one had the guts to use the real system to train. Stupid me, I went into the real program and worked my way through the process without screwing up a customer account. In spite of my being self taught, I was picked as the trainer for that quarter and asked to teach all the other instructors on the repair program.
I do hope you get well and continue to do well. MUD

heartforhugs said...

haha you are just so adorable! i love your stories!

Amanda said...

oh, I love your stories!! I don't think I've ever had anyone puke on me...that I know of! :o) Hope you feel better!

MUD said...

Ok sick person, your break is over. Get back on your blog horse and ride or write or whatever. I miss hearing your adventures. MUD