Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Well hello Again!!!

The time seems to fly beneath my excitable feet!

Not sure if that makes any sense, but I decided to try poetic devices (perhaps I should flee from this notion)....anyway... this week has been wonderful in many ways, and frightening in many others...

First of all, my time has been surprisingly full, even without the weight lifting classes to attend. Honestly, I miss that interaction with students on a consistent basis, particularly since it's a new group of guys and I am not able to see their first few weeks! Oh well, it was decided between Cory and I that I would regularly be a part of 5th period weights, since the class is 6 girls, and he feels uncomfortable w/ the class being in a rather remote location... just to be cautious (since no one else is around the gym at that time, like we had during 7th period guys last semester).... Anyway, that's exciting for me, as I am happy to be a part of that class (and the girls assured me they are as well).

So, with that to look forward to, I am glad to see Cory doing well in his student teaching. We really have worked together well, and his ideas are good, including a few more points of structure to the class. I feel much more confident about 2nd semester classes, and I think perhaps any confidence will be more than I had before beginning classes this year, since being a new teacher is incredibly intimidating! By the end of 1st semester, however, I felt quite close with the girls in my class, and I wrote them all a card, which I think they appreciated! (hmm, this occurred awhile back, but I think I forgot to mention it).

Alas, my news is not over.... as I have a bus episode to relay. Actually a few.... yet neither involve me as the driver, exactly. Okay- story #1: A few weeks ago I was sick so another volunteer agreed to take my bus run. At the last minute I checked in to see if she wanted me to drive, since I was capable, although not very well. She assured me it was fine- and I thought nothing of it, until she returned and I came to understand that she actually got stuck for about 45 minutes- and had an awful time of trying to get out, etc. I thought to myself, hmmm, lucky me, being sick and all.... :):)

Story #2: Last Friday I was driving to the Pow Wow (which I shall speak on further)... and I came upon what seemed like a bus accident just outside Red Cloud! I thought to myself- please don't be a Red Cloud bus!!! Yet sure enough, one of our busses was in the ditch (mind you, several cop cars surrounded the scene as well, adding to the suspense)...while another of our busses was pulling it out of the ditch. I was concerned for the driver, but I was also on a mission of sorts (again, will elaborate later)...so I couldn't turn around to be with this volunteer and hear the story... thus, I heard the story later: while driving back to Red Cloud, Amanda (name changed for privacy) drove the bus about 50 mph, clearly under the speed limit- yet all of the sudden came upon a BLACK HORSE running toward her on the highway! Amanda swerved to miss it, yet hit it anyway and proceeded down into the opposite-side ditch. WOW! I could not believe she hit a horse with a bus- not that it had anything to do with her fault, but why was a black horse on the highway? Your guess is as good as mine.

In other news, my 1st Lakota/Lakhota class on Wednesday ended up to be cancelled, since the instructor went to the wrong college site. hopefully this week he gets it right, I want to learn Lakhota!!! :) Also, I went to the Pow Wow on Friday in Pine Ridge, which was a wonderful time- it wasn't too packed, but several Red Cloud students and faculty were there, so it was great to be a part of it...and actually, I went in a special capacity (which is why I didn't have the option of turning back when I came upon the bus incident)... I went as a REPORTER! Yes, you may be asking- for whom? Well, the Rapid City Journal recently contacted me about reporting from the Pine Ridge area, and that is precisely what I will be doing.... in fact, my first article was about the hand games competition at the Powwow, and you will find it at this site:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/01/26/news/local/doc479c1344677a3864261237.txt

I say this week has been wonderful, because of the many new opportunities which have been present, and also I am extremely grateful for my health, but the scary parts have also come along with the good, including the horse incident, which puts me on edge as I drive at night, and I was extremely nervous about my article which I submitted for the Sunday paper.

Overall I would say that I feel satisfied, since I spend my days doing what I love- interacting with people of all ages, particularly youth, planning and organizing various events, being available for random assignments, working out, spending down time with my housemates, and doing the occasional living room dance... when flooded with a surge of energy or excitement. You know me- and I assume this statement does not surprise you!

Okay, I am calling it quits for tonight. I shall go retrieve the van bus keys for tomorrow, since I will be going to the Treaty Council with my student council- oh so exciting! I shall report more later. This moment of the week always excites me, as I push the 'publish post' button and share my energetic, albeit random, happenings and thoughts.

Much peace be yours- and watch out for those black horses!
Emily

4 comments:

Katie said...

That is the first time I've heard of anyone hitting a horse. I feel bad for the horse and I'm not particularly fond of horses. Your article was really great, by the way. So proud of you - it's great that you are expanding yourself.

MUD said...

A horse is a terrible thing to hit with a pick-up or car. They are tall enough that they come over the hood and through the windshield. At least in a bus you stand a chance of them falling to the ground. Never, Never swerve a bus loaded with people to miss an animal. I promise you that the trauma you might inflict on their minds is always less than the trauma of a wreck on their bodies. Love you posts. Put your reporting stuff on the blogs site. MUD

Stephanie said...

Emily! I love the way you write. I really do. During your discussion of living room dances, I had this vivid image of you doing kung-fu in our living room. Actually, I think it was the "this-is-what-I-will-do-if-someone-ever-tries-to-attack-me" move. Good times! Love and miss you!

Amanda said...

I love your enthusiasm Emily! You can make me smile a continent away :o) I'll look out for black horses, although I have yet to see a horse in Paris. A goat, yes. No horses though...