Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February comes at last...

It's February- actually, 5 days into February, which honestly is a little difficult to believe.

However, accepting this in faith, I shall proceed to explain the continual excitement which my past week here at Red Cloud involves...

I spoke last of anticipation regarding my Lakota Language course, and I am pleased to report that my mood upon returning from class was one of invigoration and excitement at the prospect of learning this difficult language! One reason I find this endeavor useful is the Lakota Language is the foundation of the culture- and by learning the various speech patterns, I shall hopefully also learn important aspects of the culture! :) Wish me luck!

I would like to introduce myself now... 'Emily Fischer emaciyapi ye' & the translation for Red Cloud Indian School is 'Mahpiya Luta Owayawa,' but I cannot remember how to put it together.... I'll work on that. I've basically learned some of the correct pronunciations and a few general grammatical rules, but it was an intense 2 1/2 hours of Lakhota, so basically I really don't know how much I've retained. I did review last night, however, and I really want to get pronunciation correct, that's my most immediate concern.

Oh yes, well- we have a changed situation here at Red Cloud- our volunteer coordinator recently resigned, and now Paddy will be taking over his position- which means our current full-time sub will be taking over Paddy's classes... leaving the rest of us (and me at a definite disadvantage w/ only 2 structured periods of the day) to fill more subbing positions. Ah, a bit frustrating yesterday (with a surprise day full of subbing- and a long list of items which remained un-accomplished), but the prospect seems more promising after a day of only subbing 2 periods... yes, my job has become a bit more hectic, yet entirely manageable- thus far!

I also received a surprise bus run this weekend, taking the wrestling team to Pierre and Fort Pierre for a tournament (Fri- Sat). The entire trip was fine- although the arrival back to campus was much later than expected... however I will forever count my blessings with a successful bus run after the recent bus-trauma we have been experiencing as a community! :)

A few blessed points of my bus driving this weekend involved the genuine appreciation and joy I sensed from the wrestlers. They are a wonderful group of guys, and in their own way, they all show me that they appreciate not only my (fabulous) bus driving skills, but also my (occasionally over-zealous) enthusiasm and support of the team. On the way to Pierre, we were jamming out to some tunes on the radio, and a commercial came on about sobriety checks, following which they all checked in with me to make sure- as the driver- I was doing okay! :)

One guy came up to help change the radio station, and in leaving he says, "Emily, you're doing a GREAT job of bus driving!" Awe, how wonderful to hear these much sought-after words! Another guy came up to talk a bit and give me a tootsie roll for my efforts. Still another gave me a hug on the way out, thanking me for driving. It's in these little moments that I do experience the grace of God- and I become consumed with an immense feeling of peaceful joy and reassurance that God is truly present in all my interaction with these (have I mentioned wonderful?) students! :):)

Speaking of wonderful students, one came into my office at this very moment, and just asked me "Hey, do you know I am a really great cook?" Well, no- I didn't, Jesse. "Yep, I'm one of the best cooks in my house- macaroni and cheeze, goulosh, spaghetti, taco salad, and gravy- gravy's easy!" ...Ha- thought you'd appreciate a tidbit of the many conversations which occur in this office daily.... Oh, he also just informed me he WILL be an 'Iron-Chef' someday (evidently it's a TV show)- and proceeds to explain that he would rather cook beef than seafood (because you don't see the cow's head, you only see the live lobsters and such)- and he challenged me to a cooking competition.

I hope that explains a bit why I love conversing with these brilliant-minded students, who despite their (at times) difficult situations, still aspire to the best... like cooking spaghetti on a TV show! :)

Sunday I enjoyed a nice run through the masses of snow which still cover the cross-country trail, but it was such a nice day- I couldn't help but feel invigorated by trudging through the shin-high snow! After what was a surprisingly relaxing weekend (w/ factoring in the bus driving and all)... I had a good Monday- well, for the most part good.... yet I suppose you know by now that I tend to find the good in all situations, so you can assume that Monday wasn't a GREAT day- but most likely an ordinary day.

The girls' b-ball team won a 70-30 victory over Hill City last night, and for once I was able to go simply as a spectator and fan, rather than a 'faculty on duty' person. I enjoy sitting in the student section and cheering really loudly, drawing several strange glances from younger kids who don't know me and my enthusiasm yet. The high schoolers do, evidently, b/c it doesn't faze them... :) I was able to convince some freshman girls to stand up with me for a cheer, though- and it gave me the impression that enthusiasm simply waits for a confident owner before it can spread.

Tonight I am planning to play b-ball in a scrimmage with the Oglala Lakota College girl's team. YIKES! To give you a preview of the quality play our team (of eclectic talent) will produce... some played b-ball in 4th grade, some in high school, and perhaps some none at all! :) YES! I'll let you know how it goes.

Okay, that's all for now, and good timing too, since #15 bus is calling my name! "Coming, oh sovereign activity run, coming!" Gosh, sometimes that's just how it is!

May much peace me yours as you also trudge through the snows of winter (although perhaps yours will not be for sheer enjoyment/exercise) :):)

Until my Lakota improves and I make this a bi-lingual site, Good-bye!
Emily

PS- I don't intent to suggest the aforementioned bi-lingualism shall occur ANY time soon. :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

2 things: "cheeze" and "intent" in the last sentence. Normally I don't notice these things - but now that you are a professional writer (of sorts) I thought you might want to know. Also, I can just imagine you coaxing freshmen girls into cheering with you - that is so Emily!

Amanda said...

my dearest emily -
and I thought french was hard! I'm completely impressed that you're learning Lakota...just reading those words is a challenge, and I can't even imagine how to pronounce them! I'm so glad your students are giving you positive feedback!
keep blogging and I'll keep reading :o) Even if it's in Lakota!