Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Full & Fulfilling

Why hello!!!

I write again from a slightly scattered, yet quickly calming mood.

Today has been quite the chaos! Partly due to my own fault, and partly circumstantial. HA! I shall begin backwards on recounting my week, since today must be recorded!

So yesterday we got out at 9:30am (wait, this is necessary to today's story, trust me)- such the full (1hr 20min) school day! :) I spent my time at school until 2pm, working on various projects, and enjoying some good chat time with fellow faculty... then worked out for awhile, made dinner, basically enjoying the down time... WELL. I find out shortly before going to bed that we would be having a late start today (I forgot to mention this all involves the accumulated snow outside). Good news, right? The story thus begins... (She sets the alarm for a luxurious 8am)

7:47am- Emily wake up on her own, only to fall asleep again.
7:51- 10:23am- Emily sleeps soundly, evidently through alarm, knocks on the door, and a phone call.
10:23am- Emily's cell phone rings...who would be calling this early in the morning?
10:25am- It occurs to Emily that she is EXTREMELY late to school. (which began at 10am)
10:32am- Emily makes it to school and having just checked her messages, realizes that some fellow teachers are gone for the day and cannot make it back (snow related once again) for school. Hence, Emily is suppose to sub again today.
10:35am- Some students are let out for the "women in science" trip planned for today- which Emily was also suppose to chaperone- to Rapid.
10:35-10:45am- Emily frantically pulls her things together, confirms she cannot sub, and tries finding the van to leave for Rapid.
10:45am- Emily returns unsuccessful from multiple trips outside looking for the van. Hmm, seems to have left without her.
11:16am- Emily begins subbing today...
12:30am- Returning to sub once again, Emily finds the ART ROOM FLOODED (with snow run-off).... The rest of the subbing is chaotic, in trying to find places for the students to go, things to occupy their time, and workable TV systems to watch an Art video.

Relatively unsuccessful on all accounts, Emily resigns to her office after school and celebrates the fact that she has sold over 40 Crush-0-Grams for Valentine's day in the midst of the chaos.

Ha, quite the day (or quite the 4 1/2 hours, that is!)- yet somehow wonderfully satisfying as well; when I'm not in control, I can choose to realize that, or fight it, and I think I did a little of both today....

Gosh, so much more to say (and bus #3 awaiting my keys), but basically this past weekend I had a volunteer retreat, during which I announced to the group that I have plans to stay on another year- more thoughts on this later.

Overall, a relatively splendid week, and tomorrow will be full as well, with Custer HS coming to visit, and my very first Lakota Language quiz! (need I mention I haven't studied yet?)

Alright, I shall be posting new pictures soon, of my students dancing at a Pow Wow and of various other things... However, they have yet to be put onto the computer.

One wonderful note... my office currently (WHAT?)...sorry, couldn't hear myself over the sound of the extractor!!! That's right, the snow run-off also seeped into my office, even though I am not by the outside, weird! My office is essentially 'room-locked' yet I still have a flooded carpet? Strange engineering!

Okay, I really must go, although I hate leaving a post feeling that so much is yet to be said. Perhaps my pictures will appear sooner than a week. I'd really like that, and maybe you would too! (and I've been told a picture is worth a thousand words) :)

Until my words meet your eyes once again,

Emily

1 comment:

MUD said...

Whew! I felt rushed just reading this post. MUD