Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another short week...

Judging by the length of my last reflection, I am perhaps being a bit too detailed for everyone's sake. I shall try to adjust my writing- although details are what I feel makes my life wonderful (and supposedly entertaining enough to provide a few good stories).

I am currently sitting here substituting for the physical science teacher, and I have Dakota with me right now. He wished to be included in this post, so here he is: Dakota. Now he reads this and says, "Ah, I was messing around, don't write 'he wished'." Not sure if you should believe that or not. (I still think he 'wished') :)

Today I am happy, I think it's because I was able to run outside yesterday! I was really excited to have the chance to run on the outside track by the fitness center- and what do you know, but I ran into (not literally) my friend Robin from church. We were able to walk together for awhile, and it was great to enjoy the afternoon in such a manner.

It is, as my title suggests, another short week for us at Red Cloud, as we are now preparing to travel to the Boys State A tournament in Sioux Falls. I am not sure of my ride yet, but it'll all work out....surely, right?

Yep, only one more day of school this week, then two more 3-day weeks to follow, since Easter break is quite a few days. Anyway- talk about something more exciting, Emily. Oh, yes... last weekend I was able to travel home for the girls' State A basketball tourney in Watertown, stay with my parents, and witness the girls play some good ball... and some not-so-good ball. Overall, they really had a great season, with a strong finish as 6th at state. They lost their first game to the eventual champions, West Central, and the score margin was similar to the championship game... so they have nothing to be ashamed of. (A fight did break out between some angry Red Cloud mothers, of which I am not happy to report, so I will leave it there. Bad way to end the season... and the girls were shocked... but a good welcome-home celebration hopefully mended some ill feelings.

I am smiling now. When I don't exactly know what else to write about, I try to describe how I am at that exact moment. There you go... a little chuckle to myself as I write this....

Ah, yes. My Lakota language class. Last week I ended up getting a good score again on my quiz, and tomorrow, guess what? That's right! (assuming you read minds).... I am having a mid-term exam. Hard to believe it's already at that point in the semester, but yes! We are to present a 2 minute speech in Lakota about anything we want. Mine's pretty good (reading over this, I once again chuckled to myself at the absurdity of this statement), I basically say the same sentence over and over again, substituting various family members names and descriptions. Hey! I'll give you a sample. (NOTE: If you are a native Lakota speaker and are reading this, please forgive the occasional mistake which might pop up unexpectedly) :)

Hau. Emily Fischer emaciyapi. Mahpi ya Luta Owayawa el wati. (Hi! My name is Emily Fischer. I live at Red Cloud Indian School) Wakalapi na mni wastewalaka. (I like coffee and water.) Atewaye kin Wayne Fischer eciyapi na Ina waye kin Melanie Fischer eciyapi. Arlington, SD el tipi. (My father's name is Wayne Fischer and my mother's name is Melanie Fischer. They live at Arlington, SD). THERE YOU GO! My first official Lakhota paragraph. I can always write more, but you must special request, in fear that this is dreadfully boring to some.

Okay, I guess there's not a whole lot coming to mind at present. I realized this weekend how appreciative I am of my parents, supporting and suggesting all my various activities throughout my school years, because I know I have definitely benefited from the many experiences- and not many kids here are able to have those opportunities. Little high-school flashback for me, explaining to my fellow volunteers all the random activities I participated in during high school. :):)

I do want to send out a generic (but extremely heart-felt) apology to any friends and/or family members who happen to be reading this and thinking.... "Hey, why isn't Emily using this time to call me? After all, it's been one and a half decades since I've spoken with her!" I know, although it might be a slight exaggeration to say it's been decades (come now,)... I do feel disconnected for some reason with dear ones, and I apologize! Perhaps when ball season ends, I will be better about that. Perhaps... but you're welcome to get on my case about it as well. I shall accept criticism regarding this matter. :)

Okay, sending much love, as I look forward to stepping out into the 60 degree weather to go start my bus! (notice: I did NOT say 'warm-up' the bus. Hurray!)

Smiles, and a sweetly slight cock of the head,
Emily

2 comments:

Katie said...

I beat MUD in posting!! This is a big day for me. I just wanted to say that you really shouldn't feel so guilty about not calling as much. We all read your blog and know your crazy life. Also, you may have noticed that your phone hasn't been recieving many calls from MA. So, I apologize to you as well!

Amanda said...

I love how you signed off of your post - I could actually see you smiling and tilting your head :) I agree with you about the details, because I think that that is what enables us to really "see" what you describe. But to pass along some advice from a friend, write whatever, and however, you like on your blog. We will keep reading because we love you! Hope everything continues to go well and you enjoy the weather...are you going to be in Red Cloud over the summer?