Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring?

It's Thursday... and I have yet to write on the blog. Please don't think I'm forgetting, because this is clearly not the case. I have only been debating whether or not I have significant contributions this week... but honestly, the standard I have devised for myself does not warrant substantial life-changing information... (or at best, rarely) :) So here goes...

I begin with a question mark behind Spring... because it is not quite evident whether or not the weather has decided to embark on a new season. The temps today suggest it would rather remain in the "sprinter" faze. (I personally think this combination of words is clever and timely, considering that track season has now begun) :)

Speaking of running, I have been diligent in my exercising efforts the past few weeks, which has subsequently given me quite a bit of energy! This is a concept I have been reflecting on lately- the idea that we all have strengths within our very personalities... and I would consider a strength of mine to be 'energy.' The task I daily assume, therefore, is to channel my energy in positive directions, such as being attentive to the subtle needs and graces of the students I work with. Another tangent thought: I find my days are more fulfilling when I am able to cease worry and allow my faith in God to manage all the challenges of the day.

So, I previously wrote of my departure for Easter break, and I should mention that it was an enjoyable time spent with family and good friends. Perhaps a few of my highlights would be: 1. a wonderful and invigorating conversation with my mother, regarding my time here at Red Cloud. 2. Seeing and spending time with my friends Denise, Janice, and Nealy. 3. Being together with all my extended family for Easter Day.

Wow, funny how one can summarize so many beautiful hours in a few sentences. I think most of you realize the beauty of a break- so I will leave it at that. :)

Upon returning to Red Cloud on Tuesday, I had the satisfying feeling of peace as I entered the campus of Red Cloud. It really is beginning to feel like home- obviously in some different ways than my home in Arlington (which will also feel like home forever, in other ways). I feel as if I 'fit' into the atmosphere of Pine Ridge, a rather laid-back, simplistic, and realistic way of life. Granted, I don't think these aspects are unique to the Rez, but for its geographical location, I would say the environment definitely retains a unique & rather 'set-apart' feel. An interesting connection might be made in the choice of terms 'set-apart', which is the definition of the word 'holy'. Yeah, I could see the connection. For as much as the Pine Ridge Reservation consistently struggles with some extremely difficult conditions (precisely for their economic isolation), the Rez also possesses a richness, a sense of sacredness, of being 'holy.' Perhaps I cannot explain myself better than this, but I stand by this rather unexpected comparison.

Yesterday I entered the school building ready for whatever might come my way... and besides substituting for my friend Katie's Spanish class (don't worry, the students were not forced to listen to me stumble over Spanish words I can't pronounce... worksheets are the answer!) :)...I had a rather calm day. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the students after this extended break, and I look forward to a month with more days of school than days off! :)

My Lakota language class last night was a whole lot of fun! We played an alteration of 'charades'... involving the pronunciation of an action verb and a proceeding demonstration of the action... followed with large amounts of laughter from everyone else. Ha, yes- good bodily-kinesthetic learning taking place, that's for sure! :)

And here I sit, substituting once again for Katie (who is gone for a grad school visit)... with a whopping TWO students in class. :) The juniors are testing for ACT reasons, and the other three seniors in the class are gone on a basketball/college visit. Yep. 2 students. Sometimes life treats me roughly. :):)

Okay, I'm signing out- hopefully you are also experiencing peace in your lives... especially after this Easter season, a season of hope, renewal, and energy! :):)

Excited about the hope found in students' creativity and the springtime flowers,

Emily

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you had a good break! Random tidbit - you wrote "the temps" and I assume that you were abbreviating temperature, which makes perfect sense. However, I read "temps", which is the French word for weather and your sentence still made sense. It was only a couple sentences later that I realized you probably weren't posting in Franglais like I usually do! lol...
Enjoy your weekend!