Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Volunteer bonding...

This week's excitement primarily revolves around the quality time we as volunteers have spent together recently.

I say this, because from Friday at 3:08pm until Tuesday at 10:08am, school did not meet. Surely one wouldn't assume weather-related issues at this time of year, but YES! Such is the case. Sunday evening the sky took on a gloomy appearance, and snow began falling lightly (as I was busy organizing my office from the overflow of the weekend's after-school program purchases- soccer balls, kick balls, footballs, yoga mats, etc.). The lightly-falling snow soon became thick, and on the eve of the final day in March, we obtained a large enough amount of snow and slick roads to call off school for Monday. Of course, most of us volunteers were exceedingly excited, despite the fact that logically, we know it's better if the students actually have school.

So, I spent Monday baking banana bread, creating cookies, and doing other activities which did not contain as much alliteration. :) I also worked on a few interviews for the Rapid City Journal, I worked out at the P. R. fitness center for a few hours- that's right, hours. :) And I helped make a really large amount of homemade pizza for a family-style volunteer dinner, during which we welcomed back our volunteer coordinator who has been on the road since before Easter for recruitment purposes.

The turkey mushroom pizza turned out alright, but the fun times spent laughing together as a community turned out to be way better. I was reminded by this low-key snow day how much I appreciate living in this community of volunteers (seriously, our interaction alone entertains us for several hours!), in addition to being in the larger community of Red Cloud campus. It truly is one of the best aspects of my time here. I am learning to love and appreciate the concept of community, so much so, that I really never wish to live alone. Nope, not unless I am the only one left on the globe. :)

So Monday turned out to be a pretty sunny day, yet come evening (eve of April Fool's Day), snow began falling once again.... and continued falling, falling, arising hope in yet another snow day. Turns out we had a late start because of risky road conditions, but we did have school.... which was good timing for the students, since it was also0- as I mentioned- April Fools. I do not exactly know if I should share each time I revealed my gullible self to these clever students, but let me say... on several occasions, I truly believed these students' April Fool's jokes.... For example, how am I suppose to react when a young girl (who has confided in me on a number of occasions regarding boy issues) tells me she's pregnant? Yeah! A not-so-funny joke, with a number of pregnancies already occurring in school. Most jokes were less severe, but equally as believable, and I have officially determined that I dislike April Fool's Day very very very much.

Ah, and today is Wednesday, with parent/teacher conferences tonight, and yet another quiz in Lakota Language. I am feeling rather 'professional' today, since I have on a crisp white button-up shirt with brown dress pants and heels. One of the students who enjoys commenting on my wardrobe suggested right away that I look professional, with my outfit and the fact that my hair is back with glasses. Actually, this is one aspect of the job I rarely comment on, and that is, my dress. I am basically free to wear whatever I'd like, which means that some days I show up wearing jeans and sneakers with a casually nice top. Other day, such as today, I look more 'teacher-like'... but all in all, I like the variety this position offers, even in terms of wardrobe choices! :)

Okay, this is about it for today. One more comment. I am excited for the prospective volunteers who may be coming/visiting campus shortly, and so if you happen to be one of them, please know that your interest excites me very much, as I shall be coming back next year and look forward to meeting you. Ha- what a random way of welcoming, huh?

Peace be yours, during these unpredictable weeks of sprinter (if confused, refer to last week's post).

Cheery smiles and slightly lethargic morning charm,
Emily

2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow - I don't miss the late spring snow storms that South Dakota has to offer! And I'm glad to hear the students took full advantage of your gullibility on April Fool's Day - don't want a holiday like that to go to waste!

Amanda said...

Sprinter...I like that :)
And, FYI, it is 60 and sunny in Paris today, but last week's 10 day forecast of no rain has now changed to tell me that we will not have another day without rain until next Sunday. So...not snow, but still not quite warm enough for me. :)