Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some of the Best...


A group of senior guys- who all congregated for the photo. I think they enjoy being the center of attention! :)

Some seniors who hiked in the rain with Peter and I


After the hike, it only makes sense to jump into frigid water to 'cool down', right? :) (after this, several students jumped into a hot tub... temperature compensation, I suppose)


During a prayer circle, the students gathered and shared prayers as a class- before a dozen or so of us hiked up Bear Butte, located near Sturis, SD.


One group challenge involved piling 50 seniors on 10 chairs. They came.... close, I guess, but had a lot of fun trying. :)


It was Miya's birthday on Thursday and her family came to surprise her with a cake and ice cream...


A group of seniors pose once again- evidently the camera loves them!


"Leksi Alvin" (Uncle Alvin) the Lakota spirituality teacher is diligently writing notes to students (another major component of the retreat)
Other students writing their notes to classmates- and faculty... except Dylan, he's taking a break to give you all a sign of peace...two signs of peace!


Why do their faces keep appearing before the camera? I guess they enjoy the poses... since the second from the left actually smiles all the time, only not for pictures.


Today I shall reflect on some of the best students, the senior class of '08. For lack of better formatting skills, I have posted the pics first- and included captions to highlight some (not all) moments spend with this class...

This Wed-Fri I chaperoned the senior class on their spring retreat... and had an absolutely fantastic time!!! We all headed up to Storm Mountain (I believe my fourth retreat there, my sixth or seventh retreat total this year!) and despite the rainy weather and 35mph trek up the steep highway in a 72 passenger school bus loaded with students and travel gear, we successfully reached our destination and began what became a wonderful retreat experience!

At the prompting of a frequent reader, I decided to post some pictures of my time here... and I shall summarize by saying we had splendid laughter, serious heart-felt sharing, and plenty of good times and bonding experiences... yet the pictures are perhaps the most telling...
In other recent life events, I had a great weekend, mainly catching up from the weeks excitement at Storm Mountain, and reading some of the wonderful letters the seniors wrote to me. I also enjoyed catching up with several dear friends on Sunday via cell phone- thank goodness for free weekend minutes! :)
Monday and Tuesday were good days- actually the weather was in the mid-80s, and I simply adored walking into the brilliant sunshine. Makes any day good, but Monday was particularly good to be back in school after having been gone for 5 days... seeing the other classes makes me excited to be spending next year here- especially the junior class, with whom I am already quite close and will hopefully be able to experience another senior retreat with them!
Ah, so, class tonight again. I missed last weeks, for the retreat, and I think I should have studied way more than I did, but you know... I've begun lessening my over-achiever grip on this class, and quite frankly, it's a bit refreshing.
Alright, I am going to wrap up. Perhaps study some Lakota days and time phrases, and enjoy the Wednesday where (so far) I have NO SUBBING! :)
Thanks for tuning in. I enjoy being able to share, and I appreciate your attentiveness and at times endless interest in the place of Pine Ridge, and the Lakota people I have come to love.
Endless blessings through our Creator God,
Emily
PS- Damian (a treasured senior who was unable to attend the retreat) asks you this question: "What color are mirrors?" He is currently trying to figure this out. :):)

PPS- Chandler says, "Boo! That's like my trademark saying, man!" He's a frequent visitor to my office, and I thought he would make an enjoyable contribution to this post. :)

5 comments:

K. Sas said...

I'm giving a deep answer for the 2nd time in my life: Mirrors are the color they reflect.

heartforhugs said...

haha, oh! that's so fabulous! thank you for sharing!!! ...and i like sas' answer...:)

Katie said...

Sas is right. No object has color of its own, but is merely the color it reflects. Mirrors are no different. Love the pictures - so jealous that you've been to Storm Mountain so many times and I've never been there. Maybe some day!

MUD said...

Great Post. A lot is made of the spirituality of the American Indians in the 1800's. Little is said about them today only to record their history. Looks a lot like typical teenagers on a fun weekend to me.
Ask your young friend to study color of birds. The cardinal only appears red as that is the color the sun reflects off his feathers. On dark days the cardinal is muckelty dun and on sunny days he is on fire. I guess a great mind studies the color of a mirror and I only look at it as reflecting.
MUD

Amanda said...

I am so glad to see a post from Emily! :) It looks like you all had a great retreat and I'm glad you are anticipating your second year at Pine Ridge. Random connections: one of my new friends from church here in Paris just made up his mind that he'll be attending Princeton Seminary. Made me think of you!