Wednesday, April 30, 2008

PROM 2008

Senior Prom Queen & King: Ida & David


Junior Prom Princess and Prince: Juliana & Wade


The faculty 'stars' of the dance: Sarah, Robin, Leah, Me, Jess, Katie, Mandy


Alvin & I- looking pretty great for a picture!


A group of sophomore-senior sisters, cousins, and friends.


Sarah, Katie, Leah, and I. We enjoyed the evening together, beginning with a
meal at the Cottage!


Three freshman boys looking pretty spiffy!!!


Five fine-looking seniors! Lisa, Mando, Dylan, Ash, and Elaine


Saige & I- looking lovely.


Junior boys- Jeff, Lyle, Richard, David, and Ryan- loving the refreshments

I began typing this post yesterday, but as my hectic days would have me, I procrastinated on this blog, and thus am finishing a day late- today. Apologies.

(as typed yesterday) What? Another 8 days since I last posted?

Yes, that is in fact what is going through my mind just now, thinking about posting again. Somehow it is now May- which is also the final month of school! I am currently struck by this time phenomenon... and how quickly I shall have to say goodbye to 50 dear seniors & a number of fellow volunteers.


Yet I cannot get caught up in philosophizing the situation... for so many exciting adventures have taken place recently....


On Wednesday my Lakota class was good as usual. I hadn't studied much, but as I verbalized this before class began, our teacher gave us ample enough study time in order to do quite well on the quizzes. I am in the same "no-study" predicament today for class, but hopefully some time today will allow me to look over the Money & Foods chapters. Actually this is the last week of class before next week's final exam! (written and oral). I am looking forward to having Wednesdays free again, but I will miss class, as I always enjoy attending.


*Update from yesterday- we had a quite lively class period- w/ one of the students coming to class a bit inebriated...and he actually stayed the whole time (three weeks ago he came much more 'out of it' and was asked to leave)... so that brought a generally increased level of excitement, as you might imagine. Oh, and also I didn't really study as I mentioned, and guess what? Yes, I got a 60% on one of my quizzes. Yikes! Well, no fear- my other 12 quizzes have all been A's.... I'm not concerned. Yes- now all I have is a final left! and a 4 minute oral presentation. Perhaps I'll share with you some of my presentation when I prepare it.


Damian (a senior) and I just had a conversation about running over animals with my car- and he popped in again to ask if I had blogged about it. He suggests I do- so here goes: Once, I ran over a raccoon with my car- and another time I hit a flying pheasant with my windshield. That's all.


So I mentioned Prom in my last post- and I have to say, that has been a major theme of the past week...each evening after school the junior class and a few faculty members decorated, decorated, decorated. Since I have after-school program duties (which has been going extremely well lately, with high attendance and participation-a variety of new clubs have started: kickball, soccer, flag football, and yoga. Yey!) I was not able to be two places at once, but Friday evening we had a pizza/decorating party in the gym- and were ready for Saturday's Prom. The evening was beautiful, the grand march (although a royal mess to coordinate w/ people switching their dates three times in a week, and even a few couples switched three times in one hour!) went off with congratulations following.... and I had this goal of convincing people to dance. I was told prior to Prom that no one danced, and I thought this preposterous... so I vowed to get at least 7 people to dance w/ me at one time.... which finally happened when we all, led by the faculty enthusiasm, began a train of dancers, and at least a dozen kids joined in. I felt satisfied about accomplishing my goal (which I was held accountable to all night by a sophomore boy).


Whew, so after prom was over (and we all headed back into the snowy outside) we ended up taking 88 kids to post-prom at Evan's Plunge, an indoor water park/recreation area. After loading the busses, we realized the space situation was not favorable, so I rushed to get another bus- and we headed out with our two largest busses packed! What a fun time! No issues to speak of, the time flew, all reports of enjoyment, and a very pleased (and only slightly delirious) Emily when we finally returned to Red Cloud at 6:30am. :):)


I spent the rest of Sunday sleeping, cleaning, etc. Monday I came back to a hectic school environment. Catching up from everything I pushed aside for prom (including communication with friends- apologies if I haven't returned your call lately), organizing the various after-school details, subbing for a few teachers each day, and working on Student Council recruitment for next year. After yesterday I feel much more satisfied, because a number of solid applicants are now running for council. Hurray!!! Overall, nothing too eventful the past few days... tonight I plan on playing basketball with a group of random community members- which I know I will enjoy- however, I hurt my knee the last time I played, so I'm trying to be cautious- and that has made me hesitant thus far, but my housemate Mike tells me to stop being a wussy... so I shall play tonight. :):) (run-on sentence, I know :0)


So how about those pictures I posted???? That's right- colorful and fun, yeah?!!! :):)


Okay, I'm off for the day. Wait- no, not to confuse you, I'm still working- and I still have after- school program (today: study hall, yoga, soccer, ceramics, and handgames)... but I am only signing off for today. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I also hope you forgive me for my delayed post. Thanks for tuning in.

Anyone reading this is currently brightening my day- just so you know. :)


Peace and love,

Emily

2 comments:

MUD said...

Great Pictures. You can see the fun in the faces. I see you even dressed up for the Prom. I would try to give your words of encouragement but I can see the light shining in your smile and into the lives of the kids. MUD

Katie said...

A few things to comment on:
1) I recognize your necklace! Not sure why that was important.
2) I think you should share what else you've run into with a vehicle on your way to Aberdeen for a certain school function and what you discovered upon returning to the vehicle. I think that should pique some interest...
3) You have been busy!
4) Don't skip out on studying for a language class - trust me.