Thursday, December 4, 2008

Winter & Dancing... both good things.

Hello growing audience... (or are you?) :)


First of all, I am sending my apologies for neglecting this precious post these past few weeks. My pictures which I've included have relatively little to do with what I will type (I think) but I still thought you'd like to see them... so I'll share those first, then proceed to tell you why I think that winter and dancing are both good things (because, of course, they are).



My new haircut! I donated 10+ inches to Locks of Love.




This picture is in case you didn't know what I looked like pre-haircut... a bit drastic, you think?





My look-alike cousin and I at Thanksgiving, comparing my current school pic with her!



My friend Denise and I running our 1/2 marathon back in October

(I told you- unrelated, right?)



Me running- and this wasn't even at the beginning- look at that happy/determined face!


Okay, back to Red Cloud. (when I add pictures, the text gets all scrunched up- sorry!)

Upon getting back from Thanksgiving, I've had one of those wonderful "I love Red Cloud and everyone here" weeks. I mean, every day. Every moment, actually, especially when I make sure to pay attention to the details. The student mentioning his gratitude for the animal crackers or cinnamon bread (thanks, Mom!). The quick wave from a shy senior. The macho junior basketball players coming it to ask what to wear to the winter formal. The senior who collects her after-school incentive points to redeem for items her auntie needs at home- like tide. The freshman who constantly says, "Hi Emily"- about 50 times a day. The Student Council members who are forever being creative and helpful. My heart fills with joy as I simply re-remember these moments. To be sure, each day is filled with them, and often times I wonder how I can possibly capture all this beauty in my memory. Perhaps even sharing it with you and others is the first step toward displaying the goodness of RC high schoolers.
Today is the big day- the day when winter and dancing come together.... it's the WINTER FORMAL. I believe this is a first in Red Cloud history (or at least recent history). The kids are quite excited... some hesitation because of the title 'formal'- but overall pure anticipation of getting dressed up, taking pictures, and being able to spend a Friday evening with friends and 'dates.' :) The kids actually ask me several times if I will be taking a date- and thus far I don't have one- so if you're not busy, any last minute add-ins are welcome! :):) (7-10pm) We have the final details pretty well in place. I still need to find the cord to attach an IPod to the sound system (music would be nice)... but Terrance (a guitar club member and budding musician) has assured me he has what we need. Also I need to make sure we can get the tarp down in time (after middle school basketball practice), string Christmas lights, and possibly have tables with candles, all fancy-like. Ah, can you feel my excitement! I even have a dress for the big event (again, at the urgent prodding of the kids).
Today is a big day for another reason- 7 of our Student Council members will be attending the Inauguration Ceremony for the new Oglala Sioux Tribal President Theresa Two Bulls. She is one of the candidates we invited to our debate, so I am thankful for this follow-up experience for the Stu. Co. members... and myself. Sometimes in my busyness I forgot how privileged I am to be able to leave school for all these cool events around the Rez. :)
I will surely fill you in on all the Winter Formal fun- and also post pictures. Miss Lainey (as her children are taught to address her) is my housemate and also a great photographer, so she is the picture woman tonight- capturing fun for everyone... and enabling this to become a mini-prom of sorts, complete with picture forms! :) I think the school is getting excited since it is open to all ages- whereas Prom is for Jun/Sen classes only. Unfortunately I don't think Santa will be making an appearance, as originally projected, yet perhaps I shall sneak a Santa Hat for a few moments tonight!
Details are awaiting my return, as I prepare to leave for the Inauguration and get back in time to quickly set up for the dance- and then enjoy both good things, Winter & Dancing.
Sending my warmest love in this coldest season,
Emily

3 comments:

Katie said...

LOVE the haircut! I cannot believe how long it was - that picture reminded me a lot of how you looked in high school. Can't wait to see you! 8 days I'll be in SD!

Amanda said...

*love* the new 'do Em!! SO cute...
the formal sounds like such a fun idea. we just got a flier in the mail about the "Barrister's Ball" in February - law school prom! At first I thought it was pretty lame, but now I'm thinking it might be fun. I'm glad to hear that life is still treating you well in SD!

heartforhugs said...

Oh my gosh!! That haircut is SO adorable on you!!! Do you feel tremendously lighter? Are you over the trauma of chopping it? I know I had those two feelings...wondered how you were feeling about cutting yours...