Monday, August 20, 2007

I'm smiling...

First of all, thanks for the encouraging comments I've received from both family and friends...here on the site, as well as in emails. I feel extremely supported!!!

I am using the community computer (for which I am grateful)...however, I am also taking up quite a bit of time here, so I will attempt to shorten my thoughts, in the hope of being a decent person to live with. :) I however will most likely fail miserably at the short writing- and still hope for grace from my housemates. Such is community. :)

This past weekend (Thurs. - Sun.) I attended our volunteer retreat at the Sioux Spiritual Center outside of Plainview, SD....(quite the isolated spot, I must say). And these four days were such a blessing! We were able to relax, get to know one another and our faith journeys better, develop community covenants for each house, and pray together often. I was sick for a few days (okay, I felt like my head was a balloon on a string, like the commercial for cold medicine, you know?) But I have recovered and feel great!

A few key points to my last few days: I was able to participate in a sweat lodge twice, actually. The first time was here on the Red Cloud Campus b/f we left for the retreat, and we had 20+ people participating. The Lakota people have such rich traditions and rituals, yet it all is quite foreign to me, and I am trying to understand and appreciate the significance of smoking the peace pipe (I have been kindly informed since first publishing this post that "peace pipe" is an inaccurate term... it is simply referred to as "sacred pipe" and holds much significance in the way of connecting the Creator and all creation in purposeful unison), singing a sacred song b/f each element of the ritual, using a buffalo skull to hold the sacred pipe, bringing in 7 rocks into the sweat lodge center...then 4, then additional 4 each round. So, the first round of a sweat lodge (which is true- you sweat a lot, so bring a towel!) :):) you pray for yourself, the second round, you pray for others, the third round- prayer is for women in your life, and the fourth round is a prayer of thanksgiving to Grandfather God. I am still trying to pick up a few Lakota words, but it's difficult for me to learn simply audibly, so I am waiting to see them written and remember them in that way.

Each round of the sweat is marked by the bringing of stones, closing the door, pouring water to create steam (this is the water of life), then intense waves of heat as we begin to pray fervently (which actually keeps your mind off the extreme heat). Okay, I am finding it difficult to fully relay the whole experience. For me, this was a very meaningful place to be in prayer- and the second time as well (although at the retreat center, the sweat was less intense) :) Essentially, I realize I have much to learn, much to further appreciate, and much to discern regarding Lakota spirituality!!!

In practical terms, my time here has been wonderful! I feel so at home here, my housemates rock... I have had meaningful conversations with them all, and I am free to laugh so much around them! (and be goofy, which is a wonderful feeling). The majority are of a Catholic faith, and I have attended several masses during my time here, but I am finding more commonality than differences, especially since the Jesuit tradition is more concerned with general Christian spirituality and not as much exclusive Catholic tradition. To be clear, the environment is still traditional Catholic, but the nature of Jesuits is to focus more on peace, justice, and community, which I appreciate greatly.

Today we had our first day of HS orientation (so I met fellow HS faculty)...and in addition to routine mtgs. about handbook, expectations, etc... I also met a great guy named Wendall, who has taught here 12 years now, lives down trailer row from me with his family, and is also not of Catholic tradition- and in addition to being genuinely interested in my time thus far, he invited me to attend the church where he and his wife and four children attend... in Oglala...so I am going this Sunday- barring any unforseen late night Saturday adventures. :):)

I am feeling more and more comfortable w/ my position in student activities- as I realize that I have a lot less to coordinate for classroom curriculum than most teachers. Also, we signed up for "prefecting" several events around the HS (basically filling in positions for concessions, working games, etc. My choices (which didn't seem the most popular)....revolved around volleyball, and I am going to be a line judge at nearly every home game this year! :):) Woot Woot!

Okay, I have spent more than enough time on this computer. I promise to figure out the picture situation soon. Until then, I appreciate your attention to my words, as I try to express myself and my experience in a tangible way.

Much love to you all, as I settle into my place here, while remaining quite aware of the many people I am missing and the various places I would also like to be.

Em

No comments: