Sunday, August 26, 2007

What a Week!


Hello to everyone who exists outside the captivating world on the Rez.

I have finally found a way to share my pictures with you- so please enjoy the sights of Red Cloud Indian School, a place where I feel at home.

Much of our time is spent "wasting time gracefully"- a term I have learned and implemented upon entering this community. Essentially, this refers to the beautiful community building moments in which nothing "productive" is occurring, yet relationships are being developed. For example, yesterday morning I woke up mid-morning and spent the next two and a half hours simply sitting at the kitchen table with 6 others, talking about the previous nights' events, etc. It brings a sense of peace and purpose to my stay here, this 'wasting time gracefully' concept. I have come to believe that this pace of life is closer to healthy balance than I have ever realized. We shall see if this continues as the school year progresses!








































































































































































If any of these photos need explanation, feel free to ask me! They are all of my house, fellow volunteers, my room, high school, mission building, Chapel, etc.

To share a bit from my past week... I have been busy in HS orientation, learning the ropes of my position, getting my office assembled, collecting supplies, meeting many people, trying (and failing miserably) to obtain a key to my office.. checking out the weight room, signing up for bus runs, hanging out w/ fellow volunteers, runnings, cleaning, and even cooking/baking! I have learned so much, yet it's difficult to explain exactly what it is. I mean, it is such an experimental sort of learning- and at times I find myself reflecting on various situations, toward an accumulated understanding of the dynamics here at Red Cloud.

One interesting note: I am officially on the Identity committee at the high school, which is striving to incorporate both Lakota and Catholic identity into one- and implementing various activities (hence, my contribution to the group) which promote such values. I basically listen to perspectives from Jesuits, Lakota teachers, and administration...and occasionally offer my limited ideas. I am sure I will discuss this issue in more depth later, as I see this is a major focus of the current school year.

In addition to ordering supplies for Homecoming, putting up my bulletin board, organizing my thoughts and ideas for tomorrow's freshman orientation, etc... I have also enjoyed receiving many encouraging emails from friends and mentors- which I appreciate dearly!

So, the plan for the coming week is this: TOMORROW the freshman come to figure out class schedules, locker combinations (fear abounds, evidently), and getting to know you games! In the afternoon I will have three groups rotate through my exceedingly exciting section of ice-breakers...thank goodness for youth ministry experience! And as Rachel said to me last night (at the Gray house)... I am so excited for the kids to come, to remind myself of why we are working so hard right now. :) That's how I feel too!

On the first day of school I will have the privilege of teaching two weight training courses, and organize the tug-of-war contest at the end of the day. I know, my life is rough! Also, I will be working furiously to organize the student council elections, which are coming up soon for freshman and a few upper-classmen spots as well. Then, we will have lovely student council meetings to designate who's doing what for homecoming. My HS days are upon me once again!

Well, I could say more, definitely- and I shall add one final note- I went to church today where I was invited by Wendell- and it was a definite experience, for sure! I would say more, but I suppose these thoughts must be shared in confidentiality! :):) And today I baked oatmeal raisin cookies, which I hope to make a habit here, since they are so good and we have so much oatmeal! :)

Well, thanks for reading up on my reflections here at Pine Ridge. Real life is starting to settle in now, and I am feeling more realistic (yet ever-excited) about my time here- including struggles and immense joys. I look forward to hearing about what else is going on in everyone's lives...I realize it can feel as if I'm living in a box here- so I want everyone to know I care. I really do!

Peace and joy, amidst uncertainty!
Emily
PS- I will be driving bus at 5:30pm for those attending sports practice and/or after school programs. :) What a fun time!

No comments: