Sunday, August 5, 2007

Three Days In...

And my reflections begin. (My thoughts are a bit extended, so be-ware!)

I arrived on Thursday evening, Aug. 2nd- to what will be my home for the next year. I am smiling now as I think about how much I have taken in these past three days... and overall my time here has been wonderful! I REALLY appreciate the people I have met so far, being fellow volunteers, Jesuit brothers and priests, native Lakotans, and a few staff members and Sisters. Already my memory store for names has been exercised, but it seems to be holding up well. I shall explain a little of my days' learnings thus far....

I was the first non-returning volunteer to arrive on campus, I settled into a nice room in "The Cottage" where I will be living with four other volunteers. Our house is big enough for about 8-10 people, so MUCH m0re spacious than any other community living experience I have had. Also, our single-occupancy rooms are great, w/ a sink included...I shall post pictures later.

A second volunteer residence is "The Gray House" (appropriately named, :) where five other volunteers will be living. We are on the same "Trailer Row" just behind the schools and Mission Building (where the Jesuits live- appx. 12 of them) A third volunteer house is situated at Our Lady of Lordes campus in Porcupine, w/ four volunteers living and working there.

The main campus for Red Cloud Indian School, where I am living and working, has a High School, Middle School, and Elementary, along w/ various staff and volunteers residences (hence, Trailer Row)... and the Mission Building, cafeteria, beautiful chapel, bus and maintenance area, playground, track and football field, gymnasium, etc. We are in a beautiful area of rolling hills and scattered trees, and my landscape from the Cottage window is an assortment of trees, green grass, and the peaceful sound of crickets chirping and rez dogs barking. :)

Thus far I have gone grocery shopping in Chadron w/ the former volunteers who were already here. This enabled me to form relationships with them: Jess, Erin, and Mike... which has been enjoyable and extremely helpful in orienting myself to the area. We spent both Friday and Saturday evenings at the Oglala Lakota Nation Pow Wow which is taking place in Pine Ridge, SD (4 miles south from campus).

This Pow Wow is evidently one of the biggest events of the year for the Lakota people, and is the main reason I chose to arrive a few days b/f orientation. The Pow Wow is an interesting mix of Lakota Traditions and the contemporary county fair...w/ stands of fried foods and sugary drinks lining the circle where the MANY drum groups are stationed underneath a permanent covering at the Pow Wow grounds. The large circular area of grass in the middle is reserved for the dancing competitions and various ceremonies that take place during the Pow Wow (which lasts for three very long days)... people camp out all around, and it seems to be a very curious mix of informality and sacred formality. I LOVED my time there, much more than I was anticipating, and I really think I could have stayed longer, just soaking it all in. Six main dances take place in several age categories. The Women have: 1. traditional dance, 2. Jingle dance, and 3. Fancy Shawl dance. The Men have: 1. traditional, 2. Grass dance, and 3. Fancy dance. And of course they all dance to various drum groups who play their signature Lakota songs... one group and then another, and another...etc. Quite the overstimulating combination of sights, sounds, smells, energy, and dust! :)

I have much to say- but I will try to be as brief as possible- thank you for hanging in w/ me! :)

Yesterday I went for my first run (or should I say hike) on a hilly dirt/gravel road which leads to Manderson... I ran the first mile nearly all uphill, and the second mile I hiked a second trail which extended from the main road into some beautiful landscapes and overviews... (I needed to walk to take it all in, of course) :) Once the heat got to me, I ventured back down and enjoyed the mile of running (again, nearly all) downhill. I have cherished the time to simply explore the area and become acquainted with places which I may frequent during my time here.

My other main experience (besides getting to know my housemates and other volunteers and Jesuits) was attending Mass this morning w/ Jess and Erin- who have a great relationship with a small parish in Oglala...(name escapes me now)... I went early to ride w/ them as they drove the bus for the Parish (under the leadership of Sister Connie) to collect any people interested in coming, but w/out transportation. It was wonderful to meet a Lakota woman named Louise, in addition to other woman and children... The Mass itself was a good experience, and I am contemplating attending regularly, but have some theological questions concerning recieving Eucharist to work through yet. -The main attraction for me is the sincerity and intentionality of community I sense in this parish.

So, it is truly great. I have already soaked in a lot (and befriended a woman named Julie who works w/ Red Cloud Indian School) and her girls....and have been able to really be myself- I have much in common w/ many of the volunteers, although we all come from difference backgrounds, experiences, etc.

Okay, this is certaily a long entry- and perhaps not all will be this lengthy, but I know and appreciate that many of you care to share in my experience, so I anticipate weekly entries onto this blog site- and I welcome you to read, comment, ask questions, etc. as you wish.

I begin my orientation tomorrow (Monday) which also happens to be my birthday! (I actually forgot that until just now)... So, it will definitely be a good day. I feel well rested and possessing the energy to take on this new adventure, come what may.

To those who have finished reading this, THANKS! :) I will miss not being able to talk as frequently w/ many of you, but will do my best. I also really hope to be receiving updates from you all, especially you who are also embarking on new life adventures.

Much love to you all,
Emily

4 comments:

Chris Rensink said...

Thanks for reflections, it's fun to hear how God is working in your life!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I can picture in my mind some of the places you've been. You are a great writer! Blessings as you begin this ministry. I'll look forward to keeping up with your adventures! Happy Birthday!

Katie M said...

Emily,
How far you have come from they last time I saw you........I am excited for you as you serve at the school, and proud to see one of my former students in the education field. I will be praying for you, and the people you will touch.
Mrs. Murphy

Amanda said...

Emily, I am so glad you're going to be writing about your time doing Americorps! I'm excited to get to "walk with you" somewhat as you have all of these new adventures.