Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween!!!

Happy Halloween to all those enthusiastic celebratory types!!! To all others, Happy Friday!

It has been a few weeks once again since I've blogged, and I must say- a 'full' two weeks for sure! Last week Monday and Tuesday I headed to the Junior Retreat at Storm Mountain. (I've decided that being at a job which 'requires' 7 or 8 retreats a year is a pretty sweet deal!). If you reference my last year junior retreat experience, you would find that it was a bit of an exhausting time, so I am overjoyed to report that we had a fabulous time this year, and I even came back energized!!! Good thing, too, since I've definitely needed that extra energy. One sad note, however, is that I took several great pictures, NONE of which ended up being saved onto my computer correctly, and I lost them....all...I know, tear.

My days have been full of planning for the Oglala Sioux Tribal Presidential Debate, which our student council hosted this past Wednesday (more to say later), keeping up with the average 35 kids that come to our after-school program (up in numbers since last year), planning for this Halloween week with a carnival and costume party (by the way, as I type this I am sitting at my desk as a 'dancing witch'. It's a pretty sweet costume, really). :) and VOLLEYBALL, which has consumed a considerable amount of my evenings and weekends this fall. Also we had school pictures last week (which I forgot about, so no promises on the outcome of those pics), two home football games recently (our playoff ended in a loss, finishing our season 6-3, so pretty good!), and a T.W.O. (all-reservation schools) Powwow! Needless to say, too much happening, not enough time to write about it all!

I have been feeling really centered lately, and it has helped me stay focused on being available to help out in a variety of ways here at school, even with the busyness of my own schedule! One other thing I haven't mentioned is that we have a faculty spirituality group which meets weekly to share with one another a meal and our spiritual reflections from the week. I absolutely love this time (I'm cooking for next week's meal- any suggestions?) :) because it gives me an opportunity to unwind and really feel as if I am connected with the wonderful (albeit a bit random) faculty that comprise R. C. staff!

So this week we had two VB games- and I must say, it has been really teaching me the art of perseverance, because our teams haven't really been winning since the middle of the season- so when our varsity pulled off a close 3-2 win over Hill City on Monday, Robin (head coach) and I were overjoyed. The JV Hill City game was also my debut as the sole JV coach (my co-coach was sick).... so I had my first taste of solo coaching, and it was actually a little nerve racking, but SO GOOD. I ended up trying a few new things with the girls, and we continued with that plan last night at our final home game, and low and behold- it finally came together, and the JV played AWESOME!!! I was SO SO SO proud of them (and you know me- I let them know!)... because they finally played up to potential, something I've been waiting to see all season!!! Woohoo! I really do feel as if I may have a future in coaching, even though towards the middle of this season I was definitely having my doubts! The varsity didn't fare so well last night, but we have our first round districts game at Custer on Tuesday- so I'll let you know how it goes!

On Wednesday I mentioned we had the debate for the contendors for Tribal Presidency...and it went really well!!! The Student Council members involved took the leadership occasion quite seriously. I had asked them to dress up and look 'professional'- and it was awesome to see them really practice over their questions. Although they 'said' how nervous they were, I really think they did an excellent job. Ryan, the student body president had a long script to moderate the evening- and he did a fabulous job. The debate lasted about 1 1/2 hours, with Russell Means and Theresa Two Bulls as the candidates. The debate also aired on KILI radio, which was great as usual. After the event was over, however, I felt a HUGE wave of relief stream through my body- a bit like the feeling of Homecoming being over! :)

So today we had the costume contest at lunch, and we really have some creative students and faculty! The administration all planned and came together as The Addams Family (they looked great!)- so they won the "Most Unexpected". Other categories were "Most Creative" "Scariest" "Cutest" and "Funniest". An inflatable ostrich, a whoopee cushion, a tetris game piece, a crazy man, and a prep-school girl were among the winners. I shall post pictures of this (as long as the computer doesn't eat them like the junior retreat ones) :(

Tonight the Cottage is hosting an all-night scary movie fest, which I shall attend for company, but not the scares. I am also heading to a spook house in the basement of the old P. R. Hospital building. Don't worry, I'm going with a friend. :) And tomorrow I shall release all Halloween anxiety with yoga- some HSers and volunteers are planning on Saturday yoga sessions, which I think is awesome!

Okay, all for now. Gotta go check out the little kids as they parade through our hallways. Oh, and I have to give blood soon. Appropriate for Halloween every year, RCHS hosts a blood drive too! :) I'm sure I'll have a story from that, since my veins generally like to perform unanticipated feats of craziness!

Thanks for tuning in! I don't know why this just changed colors, but I sorta like it! :) Much love and blessings....

Emily

1 comment:

K. Sas said...

What about wishing us all a Happy Reformation Day? My John Calvin costume is way cooler than dancing witches. And my suggestion is that you make macaroni and cheese. yummy. peace out.