Sunday, October 5, 2008

The race is over...

I'm sensing a trend in my blogging thus far this year, that being my "once every two weeks" trend. This is my apology to those who have come to expect a weekly update (Sas- not sure you're still tracking, but I hope you are)- I'm sorry. I will try to be better.

Whew, okay- all guilt aside now, and I shall begin to share my past two weeks, with you...

I suppose only some of you know of my crazy running ambitions that surface around once a year- and my subject above is in direct relation to my most recent running episode. As of approximately 36 hours ago, I finished my second ever 1/2 marathon, in a glorious time of ... wait... it wasn't a glorious time at all, actually- so I will only share it with the eager individuals who personally ask me! (this is a big step for me, one of the most open sharers in the history of self-news). However, let us draw attention to the good news inherent in this story- I FINISHED! :)

This entire weekend was splendid, actually- being able to run one of the most beautiful trails in the world (only slight bias)... The Mickelson Trail was our primary route for the Crazy Horse 1/2 Marathon, and I loved the sights of fall in the Black Hills along with the almost completely down-hill terrain! Yep, that's right, what a slack 13.1 miles! :):) I was also able to see my parents, who came to be my #1 fans- how gracious of them! We enjoyed the rest of the weekend together, as I not-so-discretely hobbled from restaurant to art gallery to restaurant, eating as much as I possibly desired. Maybe I should run 13.1 miles every day! :)

The past two weeks at Red Cloud have been full of events as usual... I attended the senior retreat last Tuesday at Outlaw Ranch (future pictures will reveal the delight we all experienced), On Monday we had a groundbreaking ceremony for the new addition to the HS building, which will begin soon- We are planning on creating new Lakota studies classrooms and science classrooms with larger (up-to-date) labs. Also included will be a fabulous commons area, to replace our 70s style student lounge. Don't get me wrong, I have come to love the strange decor of the lounge, but it doesn't exactly suit the social desires of our students.

Hmm, what else occurred, well- I didn't mention yet that one of my best friends from college, Denise, came to run the 1/2 marathon with me and (although she is a much more efficient and determined runner than myself) she and I finished together. It was wonderful to have her here at Red Cloud, and it is always my pleasure to share this world in which I currently live with friends. So, a huge thanks to Denise for visiting- and pushing me to my limit during the race.

Also I didn't mention that in visiting with my parents this weekend, I was able to share plenty about my students here at Red Cloud, my limited understanding of the Lakota language (I even interpreted a few signs around the Black Hills which were in Lakota), and my newfound perspectives about living situations and the issue of white privilege. Well, I only shared a little (if my mother is wondering what I am talking about)... but my thoughts were definitely whirling. Overall, I am reminded how dear my roots are to me, and yet how much I have grown according to my many experiences post-living in Eastern SD.

I saw two of my students hiking today around the same area my family and I were exploring in Spearfish Canyon, and it was a wonderful collision of two worlds for me. I love introducing people who are currently in my life to my parents, and my mother would attest that I do in fact seem to know many people wherever I go around here! Gotta love it...and by 'it' I mean PEOPLE! :)

To conclude my post, I shall attempt to share a link to some photos from homecoming here at Red Cloud. I cannot seem to upload any directly to this site, because of technical difficulties... but even though things in the photo department seem much delayed (as many things on the Rez seem also)- I assure you that I am in fact still trying. :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/emily.fisch

Oh yes, and I have included an album of pictures from Alison's wedding as well.

This is all for now. I shall resume my normal life once again, collecting various stories to share with you, my gracious audience. I haven't received much response lately, and that is fine... it just makes me curious to know whether three or six or ten people read this- or maybe even 50, in Emily's fantasy world. :) Ha, the more light which is shed on Pine Ridge, the better.

In honor of my German-speaking friends, 'Danke' for reading this... you're all the best.

Peace and love,

Emily

3 comments:

Amanda said...

yay! new post! :) I'm glad that life in South Dakota is treating you well. Congrats on the 1/2 marathon - I actually like to run, but I can't...dang asthma! Have a great week!

K. Sas said...

Howdy. I'm still here. The every other week thing is a little sad, but I guess I understand that life gets busy sometimes. Running 13.1 miles would take me about 2 weeks, so maybe now that that's done we'll have weekly posts.

m. suen said...

Living among people with a culture different from yours enables insights such as, white privilege, you would not ordinarily experience in a world that is yours and familiar. It does exist but the lesson to pass onto your students is not to allow it to stop them from pursuing their dreams, and they are just as good as any person and they can do anything they can set their minds to as long as they work hard and believe in themselves. And, clue in those from your world.