Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A beautiful time...

Hello beautiful friends!!!

I have posted exactly three pictures for three reasons. 1. I think a blog is immediately more interesting when photos are involved. 2. I want to express how I feel in beautiful colors. 3. It is always my joy to share photos of students I love.


This scene is NOT what it looks like here, but it's how I feel inside. :)

These fabulous girls are a part of the student council...did I mention they are fabulous?


Our Stu. Co. Representatives at the Inauguration of Theresa Two Bulls
(hopefully I haven't posted this one already)


Hello from the West...


I have always felt strange claiming that I live in the West now, since East River SD would NEVER consider themselves 'the West.' Hence, I grew up with an assumption that all of SD is a part of the Midwest... when in reality, the state divide (Missouri River) is actually greater than I ever expected. It not only separates the state, it is evidently the separation line for the Midwest and West. Betcha didn't know that! :)



I have some good news and some bad news. Which would you like to read first? Well, I'll begin with the bad news, but if you're more inclined to hear good news first, read the second paragraph and jump back to the first.




The bad news is... I will not be returning for a third year here. I recently turned in my official 'letter of intent' which was a difficult yet necessary step. Most likely everyone following my blog knows this is my final year, but I am beginning to think my audience is a bit greater than anticipated (considering the 8000+ views of my profile, I just noticed today). So I must give ample reasoning and warning- that this blog will only be mindfully tended for the next 5 months... and hopefully revisited time and again, but that's hard to predict. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, being enriched by the lives of the high schoolers I work with, the faculty members I work alongside, the culture I have fallen in love with, and the housemates and community members I live among. I have realized this year that I haven't spoken so much about the traditional Lakota Culture, I suppose since it has become an integrated part of my experience rather than a 'new phenomenon.' And I rather enjoy this realization. So- here's to five more months of solid, dedicated, Pine Ridge reflecting....


The goods news is... I will be attending Princeton Seminary in the fall! Also, most likely everyone following this also knows that, but I shall add a bit of detail. I have not yet received my financial aid package, which is the next step, considering I have been accepted and confirmed with my housing deposit. Once I file my taxes and FAFSA I anticipate hearing back relatively soon- enough time to possibly schedule a visit or whatever needs to happen next... I look forward to this journey- which will take me to NJ for three years, but it is a bit nerve-wracking as well, knowing the culture will be quite an adjustment. Honestly I'm not sure what could be more drastic than "The Rez" to "Princeton." I suppose my excitement over this upcoming experience only highlights my love for adventure and meeting new people- discovering a new culture!


But for now, I am here. And I am of course thrilled to continue on into this final semester. The new classes begin today, and lucky for me I get to substitute teach two of them today! U.S. History and Ethics. I know, pulling out all the big guns with me as the teacher! :) This week is a short week, as I only have two days of school (teacher inservice yesterday- fun fun!)... and then I will leave for Reno for a few days. Perhaps I'll meet up with a certain boy while I'm in Reno.... who knows! :) Alright, I guess I do know... AJ (and his father) will be there to greet me!


Last week we had some excitement with a fabulous student council meeting, some planning for Valentine's Day (We are having a talent show and Crush-gram fundraiser!), and my friend Emily (great name, I know) from NW College was here for a visit and was able to meet several of my students and see me in my daily routine. I especially appreciated her visit and interest in my life here...I do love visitors!
Today I am planning on going to a Sweat (inipi) after school today. I believe the wrestling team is hosting. It has been a little while since I've been able to sweat (remember women's participation is subject to their moon cycle)... so I am excited to be able to pray with the students in this way. I am also working on planning for next year- with the after-school program grant coming due soon, and a looming project of creating a binder for my predecessor. :)
All in all, it is truly a beautiful time- with temperatures rising enough for me to enjoy running outside- giving me hope that sometime spring will come....spring will come... :)
As always, thanks for reading this post. I appreciate the interest in the Rez... or interest in me... :) Ha, either way, your readership is well received. :)
Much love, Emily

4 comments:

Nate said...

I think you should blog more about that boy you are meeting in Reno

Amanda said...

How funny...I definitely don't think of South Dakota (even western SD) as "west". :) It's always been "east" to me! Granted, my cutoff is probably the Sierras for "west".
Princeton - how exciting! A guy I met at my church in Paris just started there this year...if only I could remember his name :)
Oh, and this is Amanda by the way. This is my new online "identity" since the old blog went bye-bye.
Hope your final months are everything you want them to be!

K. Sas said...

I don't think you ever mentioned the good news.

Heidi said...

Emily,

Hello! My name is Heidi and I live and work in Rapid City with my 6-year-old daughter, Mia. I am very interested in learning more about Red Cloud Indian School and the Pine Ridge Reservation...and perhaps volunteering. Your blogs are wonderful!! Have you found a predecessor? What types of volunteer opportunities exist at the school? Thank you for your time...