Monday, January 12, 2009

Catching up...

Hello my faithful few!

I know it has been another 1 1/2 weeks since I've written to you... or posted... or whatever terminology best suits you, but here I am once again. :)

This past week has been full of catching up - with the students, with my work, and with my volunteer community. I was reminded upon returning of how much I really do love my life here, and hearing the stories from the students was uplifting as we got into the swing of being at school once again. (It teaches me that time away doesn't mean relationships are any less significant).

One positive bit about the student council... last year around this time the student council sort of took a turn for the 'less than enthusiastic'- but this year, several of the girls have been asking, "what happened to student council?" (which the obvious answer would be- we've been on break, silly!)... but my internal response was of great joy, because their questions suggest that they actually miss student council! We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss our upcoming projects, and I have to remind myself to be as positive about this as they are (since there is the temptation for me to say- we had a great semester, that's good enough). But it's not, and I know they still need my encouragement to continue strong. So, let the Valentine's festivities begin! :)

I will show you a few random pictures from the previous weeks....



Our New Year's Eve group- what fun!


A. J. and I at New Year's Eve (he was introduced to the group as my
brother's friend and my "friend") :)

Past volunteer katie and I at LNI this year.


My college friends and I holding a few of my Dad's newly-hatched chicks (this smile was before the chick 'oopsed' on me!)



The wrestling team at LNI- way to go, boys!
Okay, that's all for now. I can't find the winter formal pictures, otherwise I would have posted those lovely shots as well.
I am currently starting another full week- and let me tell you, having two full 5 day weeks in a row can be a bit daunting. I know that perhaps sounds pretty funny- like... well, aren't you suppose to always have 5 days weeks, Emily? Well, yes- generally speaking, but rarely in fact do we actually have them. So then the irregular becomes common, and we all get spoiled and start complaining about a full week. It is a bit strange, I admit.
This is finals week, and everyone is stressed and ready for the week to be over. Well, everyone is stressed that has anything to do with finals, and that does not include me (said with a sheepish smile). I actually love finals week, because I have relatively little to do. I must clarify- I actually have a busy after-school program during finals week, since everyone stays after for study hall- but that's all, really. Just the after-school program. And my girls in weight lifting are maxing out this week.
Speaking of which, I'd best be on my way toward making those sheets for the girls.
It has been lovely updating you all, (however many or few happen to read). :) It's the mystery of my readership which keeps me writing- so I imagine dozens of eager souls reading these posts, even if it's just a few. :) Imagination is key.
Sending warm wishes on this bitterly cold and windy day,
Emily

3 comments:

Jim Ellis said...

i heard my roomies came to visit you... wish i could have been there...

Nate said...

thats a pretty handsome dude in that new years hat

T.J. Carlson said...

You need to comment more on your "friend" status... you both seemed VERY ...um... "friendly" at New Years!