Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reno and beyond...

Hello wonderful friends who span the globe...
Here begins what I think is a pretty spectacular blog entry... :)

First, a few pictures from Reno, NV. My first (and last?) time visiting...

A. J. and I playing Skee Ball... we both won prizes, but didn't claim them. Shoot.


We look pretty cute- even though some students think we look like siblings...yikes!

A. J.'s booth at the Safari Club International convention.


Okay, on to other elements of life....






I am writing here once again about my Pine Ridge life. Sometimes it feels so much like home that I forget what info might be novel to my faithful few... but I suppose I shall type what I think about, what I do, since that's what I know best...

I returned late Monday night from Reno....well, from a frigid Rapid City... 2 hours later than planned. Yet I was in high spirits, since my time in Reno was well spent with A. J. I suppose I should clarify for those who are not in close personal contact with me... A. J. is my boyfriend. I normally refrain from sharing too much personal information via 'this blog'- but in the chance that I mention his name a time or two, I think it's only fair that I explain who he is.


So- in short, A. J. and my brother played football together at University Sioux Falls, and this fall Clint (my brother) worked at A. J.'s hunting lodge as a guide... so they spent some quality time together, occasionally mentioning my name and single status. After ignoring hints all fall, I agreed to go on a date with 'this boy.' (and it was blind... with the only knowledge about him from Clint being something like, "Well, he's not ugly") :) Neither of us realized how much we would have in common- and now we enjoy each other's company when we can- being 4 hours apart.


Yes, well, I took off two days of school to travel to Reno, which happened to only be one day, since Monday we had a snow day! Tuesday I was blessed with a late start, and considering my tired travel mode, I used the extra sleep well. Back in the bitter cold, it took a few hours before my spirit warmed up at school on Tuesday- just in time to drive the GBB team to Mission for the night. The girls played pretty well but lost in the final seconds, which was disappointing for everyone. Their team is struggling a bit to pull together, but hopefully that can still happen as the season is not over. The boys team continues to do well. I don't think they have quite the same record or ranking as last year, but honestly I'm not even sure what they're ranked. None-the-less, it is still fun to support all the teams, since they are wonderful people!


I have been working a bunch on various little projects this week- promoting our Crush gram sale and talent show, entertaining and carefully responding to a plethora of non-feasible activity ideas from the students, and trying to pull together information for a 21st Century grant meeting tomorrow. The cumulative binder is in progress...well... at least in my mind! :)

Oh, and parent/teacher conferences went swell yesterday (or so I hear). :) See, I don't actually have much business when it comes to conferences. One class. Three students. Weight lifting. Need I say more?

I would like to reflect briefly on my travel to Reno from the perspective of an outsider looking in on my time here on the Reservation. I am inspired to do this based on the conversations I had with several people while en route to Reno. Generally speaking, the response I typically receive after explaining my choice to be here on the Rez is one of ambivalent surprise. For example, a normal response would be, "Oh, wow, now that's interesting!" or "Well, good for you. You really don't get paid?" Honestly though, I don't think most people actually believe it's interesting at all- or care whether or not I get paid, since they fail to provide any follow-up questions. But I take people at their word ;) and begin to briefly explain my position, my struggles and hopes, my life passions (okay, I read the audience before delving in too far, don't worry) :).
My point is, I really feel as if I have become an advocate for this place (which is a second home) and these people (who are my friends, my sisters, my brothers, my second family). I am able to cross bridges between 'the elite' and 'the forgotten,' between 'the privileged' and 'the not-so-privileged.' And this is exactly where I want to be; regardless of other life endeavors, I will always seek to be an advocate for those without a strong voice.


That is all for now. I shall resume daily life here at Red Cloud... driving school bus, laughing at the hilarious comments students (never fail to) make, and enjoying the gifts God has given me. Which also includes all of you. :)
Much love,
Emily


1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm only 2 hours from Reno :)