Thursday, March 12, 2009

State bound...

Hello from the happenin' desk of Red Cloud Student Activities!!!

I'm smiling now, as I type this during the final period of the day, the anpetu topa (4th day) of the week. (I imagine you think I am always smiling... and this is actually not true. In fact, I am smiling NOW, since I wasn't smiling EARLIER when I felt a bit overwhelmed- but you're right, I do smile a lot). It has been a full past few weeks... and my soul has both rejoiced and retreated during the plentiful activities. It has been quite the week for basketball, as our girls lost a close game at regions last week Tuesday, and our boys won two games last week to advance into regions- this past Tuesday. The boys won- thus, they are headed to state next weekend! Once again, going back to state in hopes of claiming the championship title they missed out on last year.
Two words come to mind when I think about region basketball games. Fan Busses. Yep. We had them. Yep. They were crazy. Yep. I always find reason to rejoice and retreat when I'm in the midst of the cheering student section, when I'm driving bus in downtown Rapid (asking kids to keep their arms inside the bus), and when I'm asked a million questions about the (seemingly simple) concept of turning in a signed permission slip with $5.00. And I say rejoice and retreat both, because often I feel the need for simultaneous thoughts of gratitude and need for santuary. I love the students. I love giving them opportunity to bond together for the sake of school unity. I love the exuberance they bring with them to the game. I love the positive attitudes a few students naturally display. I do not, however, love the occasional outbursts of rude adolescent immaturity, or the disciplinary actions which I must administer post- outburst. :) On the whole. I love fan busses. But not as much as I love the students individually. :)
The following pictures are all fan bus participants... what a crew!!

Above: NOT fan bus participants...lovely cheerleaders with random baby.

Okay.... so now you have a few faces of the fans... the fans which readily cheered on both boys and girls BB teams throughoug the season. As much fun as BB season is around here (and believe me, I was thoroughly awaiting its arrival)... I can say that I will breathe a sign of relief when the craziness has ended. Not to short the festivities, because I am still all about cheering the boys on at state. (I just found out I won't be driving the team, as originally anticipated...) So, fan bus anyone? :)

This week we have also been hosting a number of students from Creighton University. 5 undergrad students interested in volunteering after college (not necessarily here) have been staying at our humble abode- the gray house! It has been a burst of energy for us, especially for my elementary housemates (who aren't as immediately involved in the basketball hoopla and have been experiencing a long 'marchuary' season).

The weather is still pretty cold here, but next week is looking up! Finally, some spring weather headed our way... just in time to give me a boost in my running routine! :) Hopefully. The treadmill scene takes its toll on my motivation during the winter.

I feel as if I should have so many good stories from the students, and I'm sure I do- but when I'm in the midst of the chaos, its difficult to reflect, you know? I do know that I'm excited to actually do a bit of retreating this weekend, as the volunteer crew and I are all headed up to Storm Mountain for a discernment retreat! Yeah. Yeah. (I'm excited).

Well, on to the after-school entertainment portion of my daily Red Cloud show. I'm signing out now, because when dealing with the students after school- there is definitely NOT room for blogging. My sincere apologies for not giving you a live news feed or something- because I KNOW you'd find it entertaining too! :)

Sending much love to a continually known yet expanding audience!

Until the next time our good Lord inspires my little fingers.... :):)

Em

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds like you've been a busy bee! I was given a blog award by someone, and I'm passing it along to you :)
Enjoy the weekend!
~Amanda Allen