Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weather, OH weather....

Welcome to the wonderful world of SD....

This is what I said to myself (to revive positive spirits) when we received one of the craziest bouts of SD weather in my recent memory. Here's the story...

Sunday, after a warm and sunny walk, I said goodbye to my dear boyfriend who accompanied me to all three games of the boys State A tourney in Rapid this past weekend. (For a sports news update- Red Cloud finished with a 7th place victory on Saturday- definitely not the anticipated outcome, but a win to end it all, nonetheless.) So- back to the weather story... On Sunday I took not one, but TWO walks up Manderson Road- a winding, hilly, and quite scenic dirt road just across the highway from Red Cloud. The weather was so beautiful, with 70 degree temps and life-giving sunshine. I heard the prediction of a possible blizzard, but I blew it off, since I couldn't fathom that while also enjoying the seemingly 'summer' warmth.

Well, I should have remembered the 'wonderful' world of SD weather, because the next day (Monday) we had already cancelled school at 12:30pm for bus travel reasons, and by Tuesday morning, we were drenched in a thick blanket of snow- I mean, piles and piles (thanks to the 50 mph gusts) we also gained a few extremely deep drifts... so many across the Rez, in fact, that we had both Tues. and Wed. off school since a majority of people were stuck in their homes. I have caught myself saying over and over again, "This is CRAZY!!!" I mean, I expect SD to be crazy, but it never ceases to amaze me.

No, I'm not just telling you this for a good story (although it certainly IS)... but it actually happened! I should have taken pictures- well, I still could, for that matter, since it began snowing again today! For a bit of a perspective- A few friends and I decided to walk up Manderson on Tuesday (2 days after our initial summer frollick)... because we wanted to venture into the snow drifts... and after running a few yards through knee-high drifts, my exhaustion kicked in and I began walking- only to discover that in some areas my legs were sinking in mid-thigh! No joke. SD weather can change by 50 degrees in less than 24 hours- and pile on snow so thick you'll forget that warm weather even exists!

But alas, I'm holding on to my recent memories of spring, hoping beyond hope that with the end of March comes the end of cold weather. Being a native SD girl, I should realize this is silly- but I guess my sillyness is what gets me through a lot of days, so I'll stick with a childish hope of spring! :)

Yes, this week at Red Cloud has been pretty laid back. Of course I can always find ways to fill up a few snow days (much of which involves sleeping)... but I am glad to be back in school today, to see the kids, have them tell me their digging out of 10-foot snow drift- stories, or snowmen-building escapades, you know- the sort of things you can enjoy in a rural snowy wonderland. The senior retreat, which I was thoroughly anticipating, has been post-poned due to the weather... but that's alright, since we were able to reschedule at a good time in April.

We are meeting this week about Prom with the Juniors, and I am pleased to announce that we have received a few of the shipments of supplies- so I'm getting a bit antzy to set things up- but of course that must wait; it'll give me (us/ whomever is interested) time to mull over various decorating possibilities for the nearly impossible-to-decorate gym.

Other than that, I cannot say that I have much to report concerning Red Cloud. The students closest to Casey (the student who passed away last week) are back in school, which I think will be really healthy for them... to continue with their studies, etc. I will be headed this weekend to help with the hunting lodge which AJ manages- and will see my brother for the hunt as well!

I'm off to the junior meeting with ideas for prom favors. wish me luck! :) Ha, no, I'm not sure I exactly need luck. More like patience. :)

Sending my love from a warm heart (and cold hands)...

Emily

No comments: