Saturday, May 31, 2008

Seniors of '08

Hmmm....

It was graciously brought to my attention that I have forgotten to post this week's reflections.

The only excuse I could possibly conjure at this point is that this past week has been graduation festivities... and thus I have been preoccupied. I know this isn't a very good excuse, so I suppose I'll just apologize and get on with it...

Last weekend I spent at home with my family, taking care of a few wedding items (my sister's officially getting married in two weeks- wait, I'm not sure what an 'unofficial' wedding would be, so I suppose I could drop the 'officially', but it does sound cool). Although at first I felt the weekend home would be poor timing, with trying to end things well here- spending time with volunteers and various tasks- but I was wrong. It was actually really great timing, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my family again and celebrating my grandmother's 80th birthday with her and so many others!

I arrived back to Red Cloud Monday evening, and the brevity of the last few weeks of this school year hit me harder than I expected. I am trying to soak up as much time as I can with everyone here, thus making me a little elusive to folks back home- my apologies. I shall relay the many adventures of this week, primarily involving the seniors, class of 2008!

Tuesday we departed on the 'official' :) Senior Class Trip- to none other than Rapid City! :) I was partly in charge of planning and budgeting out the expenses for this trip, and I was overjoyed when I found out I would be chaperoning an ice-skating/movies/buffet dinner trip! As the trip coordinator, I also was responsible for driving the bus- now this part of the story, when I get there, will certainly be of interest to those who have been fascinated by my bus driving skills, FYI.... (I know, anticipation arises)

We had a great time ice-skating, with 35+ seniors participating (2/3 of the class!). Many students had never gone ice-skating prior to this trip, so it was exciting for me (someone who thoroughly enjoys a good time ice-skating) to watch- and occasionally help- the new learners maneuver their way around the rink. Once most people's ankles were finished fighting the ice-skates, we headed to the Golden Corral to eat an early dinner. This was a good experience (I had never been)... massive amounts of food were both displayed and consumed by the students- and in record time too! I forget how fast some people eat, so by the time I finished my first plate- some guys were done with four!

Anyway, at this point, the antsy seniors were ready for the mall, where we spent a good 1 1/2 hours enjoying individual preferences- my preference? Discovering places which would give me smaller bills in exchange for my many $50 bills (to split up for each senior). I did receive some suspicious inquiries from the clerks at both Target and JCP, but when I explained the situation, both were quite accommodating! My second preference was to get a hair cut! I had been speaking on Monday of how badly I would love to get a hair cut, and then very next day I was in Rapid- AT the MALL- WITH TIME! Everything added up to Emily saying bye-bye to split ends!

Okay, well- we have now reached the most interesting part of the story... my great and not-so-great bus maneuvering skills- on my very last bus run! All year I secretly prided myself on my ability to successfully and with great care- drive even the largest of school buses without getting in any accidents. Of course this was true- until Tuesday.... Dun dun dun..... yes, that's right- Emily had her first accident with a school bus, and this is how it occurred. So I dropped off most of the students at one of the theaters (which was positive bus maneuvering, BTW) in time to arrive back at the Rushmore Mall Theatre and see Prince Caspian (quite good). As I was parking the (long :) bus in a way conducive to quick get-away, I began backing up for a better angle, and I shouted back to the girls to watch the back for me, but obviously I didn't work. Soon enough, I hear a loud thump, some shattering, and the few screams from high school girls. Sure- wonderful- I had hit something (a light pole, to be exact) on my very last bus run of the year!

I get out to inspect the damage- and the only thing missing was the plexi-glass covering the light on the top of the pole (an accident which was conveniently forgiven by the movie theatre manager, even though it shattered into many pieces on the parking lot). The next item to inspect? The bus of course. Well, besides a slight groove (the shape of a light pole) on a few places along the back of the bus, relatively little damage... only slight fear and sadness for having gone the entire year without a wreck, then the very last day- bam! Light pole! Yikes! So there you have it- the irony of pride.

Wednesday we held a baccalaureate for the graduates, which lasted for 3 1/2 hours, complete with a meal and slide show. Honestly, I was so grateful to be able to see these seniors in this way before graduation, since I expected (and was correct) that graduation would be more hectic. Thursday was the last day of classes (and it was finals) for the rest of the students, and after school I decorated and set-up for graduation, which we ended up holding in the fieldhouse (gym). Overall the festivities of the week went off without complaint, and I am grateful to be able to breathe a sigh of relief! By Friday, graduation day, I wasn't really even emotional, since so many other things preoccupied my mind. I'm sure the loss of the seniors will hit me next year.

Oh, I didn't mention that I also had a successful first meeting for the new student council. I am so excited for this group of fine students- to work with them on some fantastic activities and projects next year! Woohoo! Thank goodness for a second year- knowing what I didn't know this year!

I shall end this post by say that I'm not sure when the next will be coming. It all depends on the amount of time I will be able to access internet this summer, for I actually leave in 4 days for my summer job- and these 4 days are absolutely packed with things to get done!

I would also like to say that I am honored by any and all attention you have given to my blogging this year. Honestly, it has been a true pleasure to share this experience with so many people, and I hope to continue more reflections next year. I don't think this will be the last until then... but in the slight chance it is- toksa! (which means "later" in lakota)

Much love and treasured thoughts,
Emily

3 comments:

K. Sas said...

thanks for finally blogging. And I might have an idea of what an unofficial wedding might be.

Amy said...

Hi Emily!! I've heard a lot about you lately and know that your students are VERY glad to have you back for another year at Red Cloud. What an impact you must have made on them this past year! I know all this because the Upward Bound/MSIP program started last week and I am again a mentor this summer. So, I have Ida, Ashley Pourier, and Conrad for my students. And I know Mando, Dylan, and David. There are probably more that I am forgetting. Becky Yellow Shield actually came up to me and said, "You remind me of someone who works at my school." She had no idea that I knew you-- What a compliment to be a reminder of you Emily! Thanks for working so hard with your students and loving them. You are doing a great work there, Emily. Hope your summer plans will be good and relaxing. Amy

Andrea said...

Hi Emily. I frequently think about you now especially because Abhi is in Mescalero, New Mexico for the summer on an Apache reservation. I should direct him to your site and maybe you could share some experiences. He's gone, taking kids to summer camp in Arizona, throughout this upcoming week, but after that..

Andrea in Chicago